6.739, Qs: Lg. acquisition, Phonological acquisition, Farsi

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat May 27 21:45:43 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-739. Sat 27 May 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines: 119

Subject: 6.739, Qs: Lg. acquisition, Phonological acquisition, Farsi

                           REMINDER

Date: Sat, 20 May 1995 23:07:24 -0500 (EST)
From: ADGERW at HOPE.CIT.HOPE.EDU
Subject: early word acquisition

2)
Date: Sun, 21 May 1995 14:56:13 BST
From: MJ.Ball at ulst.ac.uk
Subject: Instrumental studies on phonological acquisition

3)
Date: Mon, 22 May 1995 10:49:31 +1200
From: Jan Tent (TENT_J at usp.ac.fj)
Subject: Farsi Morphology

Date: Sat, 20 May 1995 23:07:24 -0500 (EST)
From: ADGERW at HOPE.CIT.HOPE.EDU

My daughter (16 months) has two kinds of words at this point.  She makes
pragmatically conditioned utterances "up!, please, hat [take me outside], read
book".  She also says words with concrete object reference: "hat, coat, bib,
bed, bicycle."  As yet, she seems to have no relational words at all; i.e.
no verbs, adverbs, adjectives, or prepositions.  (N. B. "Up" is probably a
 command.)
I suppose this to be a normal and reasonable way to structure learning, but
have forgotten most of my Language Acquisition course.  If anyone has some
bibliography on acquisition of relational words, I would be grateful for it, and
would post a summary if interest seemed to warrant it.
  What I really want to know is: when she does start to acquire relational words
will she (the child) be the Trajector or the Landmark of the relation?  Or will
there be no stage when she cannot be both.
While we are climbing out sort of esoteric limbs, has anyone studied whether
children acquire verbs with Agent-orientation (Dixon's term) like "bite, kick,
rather than Patient-orientation, like "shatter, break"?
Agent-oriented verbs describe the participation of the Agent in the situation
presented by the predicate without necessarily specifying the involvement of the
Patient.  So "kicking" requires certain activities of the Agent (motion of the
foot), but does not specify the involvement of the Patient.
  I kicked the ball.  vs.  I kicked the wall.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Adger Williams
adgerw at hope.cit.hope.edu