6.1541, Disc: Women and Linguistics, Literacy

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Nov 2 23:57:02 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1541. Thu Nov 2 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  115

Subject: 6.1541, Disc: Women and Linguistics, Literacy

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Thu, 02 Nov 1995 09:12:51 CST
From:  slc6859 at usl.edu (Condon Sherri L)
Subject:  Re:  6.1529, Qs: Universal of Ling.,Quantifiers,*suite* pronunciation

2)
Date:  Thu, 02 Nov 1995 10:55:38 +0800
From:  MATTHEWS%HKUCC.bitnet at yalevm.ycc.yale.edu

3)
Date:  Thu, 02 Nov 1995 10:09:11 +0100
From:  he229bu at uni-duisburg.de (Elisabeth Burr)

4)
Date:  Tue, 31 Oct 1995 22:39:32 CST
From:  pdaniels at press-gopher.uchicago.edu (Peter Daniels)
Subject:  Re:  6.1527, Disc: Literacy

Date:  Thu, 02 Nov 1995 09:12:51 CST
From:  slc6859 at usl.edu (Condon Sherri L)

Hudson's query about women in linguistics reminded me of my surprise when
I attended the American Association for Artificial Intelligence Spring
Symposium on Empirical Methods in Discourse Generation and Interpretation
last year.  Though the vast majority of the computer scientists attending
other symposia were male, all of the leaders and most of the participants
in the discourse symposium were female.  These are the computational
linguists and computers scientists at the cutting edge of speech and
language technology, information retrieval, and related areas.  When I
mentioned this to two male colleagues in computer science, their reply
was "Of course!  Women are better than men at language."

Sherri Condon
Universite' des Acadiens
(University of Southwestern Louisiana)