6.1545, Misc: Lg & dialect, Women in ling, Self-cen, Binary

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Nov 3 15:28:29 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1545. Fri Nov 3 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  136

Subject: 6.1545, Misc: Lg & dialect, Women in ling, Self-cen, Binary

Date:  Thu, 02 Nov 1995 18:55:07 PST
From:  keg at violet.berkeley.edu (Keith Goeringer)
Subject:  dialect v. language

2)
Date:  Fri, 03 Nov 1995 10:08:12 GMT
From:  PICARD at vax2.concordia.ca (MARC PICARD)
Subject:  Women and linguistics

3)
Date:  Fri, 03 Nov 1995 09:22:47 EST
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  The Utility of Queries on Linguist

4)
Date:  Fri, 03 Nov 1995 09:15:16 EST
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Summary: Binary Compan

Date:  Thu, 02 Nov 1995 18:55:07 PST
From:  keg at violet.berkeley.edu (Keith Goeringer)

Greetings, linguists.

I am posting this as something tangentially related to the on-going
discussion of language v. dialect.  This is from an article on the Bosnian
peace talks taking place in Dayton, OH, and is from the 11/1 San Francisco
Chronicle.  In a section named _About the peace talks_, there is a
subsection called _The language barrier_:

        "The room for the ceremony has a round table covered with a blue
cloth.  Microphones have
        already been placed on the table for participants.  Booths have
been installed for simultaneous
        translation <sic> into Russian, English and French, as well as
Serbo-Croatian, Bosnian and
        Croatian.
                Although each side in the conflict claims to have a
separate language, all three were
        considered to speak the same before Yugoslavia's breakup in 1991."

I'm surprised they didn't insist on having an interpreter for Hercegovinian
as well...

Keith

Keith Goeringer
UC Berkeley