6.1577, Qs: Corpus, Humor, Tone, Lang Lab

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Nov 8 14:53:20 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1577. Wed Nov 8 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  181

Subject: 6.1577, Qs: Corpus, Humor, Tone, Lang Lab

                           REMINDER

Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 1995 09:27:31 +0200
From:  jklindst at waltari.Helsinki.FI (Jan K Lindstrom)
Subject:  query on TEI

2)
Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 1995 16:57:18 +0100
From:  ahousen at vnet3.vub.ac.be (Alex Housen)
Subject:  Humorous data

3)
Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 1995 12:28:53 EST
From:  kkarins at unagi.cis.upenn.edu (Krisjanis Karins)
Subject:  Query: broken tone

4)
Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 1995 15:48:24 EST
From:  amr1 at pooch1.allencol.edu (Antonio Medina-Rivera)
Subject:  Foreign Language Lab

Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 1995 09:27:31 +0200
From:  jklindst at waltari.Helsinki.FI (Jan K Lindstrom)

Hello there,

I have a question related to corpus compilation and coding.

I have been doing -- and, in principle, completed -- work on a corpus
of modern Finland Swedish at the department of Scandinavian languages,
University of Helsinki. The corpus consists now of written texts of
various kinds and comprises ca 2.5 million tokens. If you are interested
in this source of information, contact me directly.

However, this is not supposed to be any launching information about the
FISC-corpus but, really, a modest query.

I am carrying out the final documentation of the project
and there is one peculiarity of TEI-coding (P3) that has puzzled me.
What does the attribute "gi" stand for, that is supposed to be used,
for instance, in the tags declaration in the corpus header? For example
as follows:  <tagUsage gi=hi>  where "hi" is 'highlighted'. Could
anyone provide an explanation? We would like to follow the guidelines
but it feels stupid to use a code you do not really understand. P3 seems
rather cryptic on this detail.

Many thanks  -	Jan Lindstrom
		P.O. Box 4
		00014 University of Helsinki