6.1611, Disc: Gender and Linguistics

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Nov 14 17:07:13 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1611. Tue Nov 14 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  96

Subject: 6.1611, Disc: Gender and Linguistics

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 1995 09:20:52 EST
From:  birchm at HUMANITIES1.COHUMS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (birchm)
Subject:  Re: 6.1567, Disc: Women in linguistics

2)
Date:  Fri, 10 Nov 1995 11:45:11 GMT
From:  PICARD at vax2.concordia.ca (MARC PICARD)
Subject:  Re: Your recent message to the Linguist List

Date:  Tue, 07 Nov 1995 09:20:52 EST
From:  birchm at HUMANITIES1.COHUMS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (birchm)

On the whole I agree with Elizabeth Burr's list of 7 reasons why so
few women are present at the higher levels of academia, in particular
in linguistics. But I point out the heterosexism (and couplism) of #5.
Burr says

5. for many women the decision for a career means a decision against
children, either because they cannot see how they could combine the
two, or - and this is probably the most important reason - they regard
*their partner*s work as more important - *he* is probably quite
capable to make it look like that - or don't expect *him* to join in
which in most cases *he* wouldn't anyway, and so on and on. In the end
they dicide against an accademic career. (emphasis mine)

While this is the way things have gone traditionally in straight
marriages, since there is now two and a half decades history of
political activity by gays and lesbians, one of the main points of
which is to let our presence be felt, I am dismayed that Burr, who
sounds like a feminist, seems to have no awareness of lesbians at
all--or at least feels that we don't have to be acknowledged.
Lesbians are academics and face gender discrimination just like
heterosexual women.  We also have children.  A related issue is that
*many* women are single parents.  Having kids is not necessarily
assoicated with having a partner.

Birch Moonwomon-Baird
moonwomon at osu.edu