6.1618, Qs: Q? position PPs?, URLs, Pronunciation Dictionary

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Nov 16 03:36:21 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1618. Wed Nov 15 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  128

Subject: 6.1618, Qs: Q? position PPs?, URLs, Pronunciation Dictionary

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Wed, 15 Nov 1995 08:03:56 EST
From:  decaen at epas.utoronto.ca (Vincent DeCaen)
Subject:  Q? position PPs?

2)
Date:  Wed, 15 Nov 1995 12:58:45 +0100
From:  he229bu at uni-duisburg.de (Elisabeth Burr)
Subject:  Query: URLs

3)
Date:  Wed, 15 Nov 1995 13:40:56 EST
From:  PATERJV at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Subject:  Machine Readable Pronunciation Dictionary

Date:  Wed, 15 Nov 1995 08:03:56 EST
From:  decaen at epas.utoronto.ca (Vincent DeCaen)

as modifiers, APs and PPs apparently have quite a different status, as
revealed by the study of nominal syntax: a) APs are somehow privileged
or "inner" vs PPs; b) PPs are somehow "outside" with respect to DET,
assuming a DP; etc.

my question: the facts I'm dealing with, especially in Welsh nominal
syntax, would be explained if the following were a canonical structure
(for a two member nominal chain):

		DP
	    /	    \
	D'		PP
    /	    \
D		NP
	    /	    \
	N'		NP
    /	    \		|   \
N'		AP	N'	AP
|			|
N			N

can anyone see something wrong with this structure, or some odd
consequences/predictions I haven't anticipated? it ensures that while
the PP is necessarily last in linear order, it unambiguously modifies
the head of the nominal chain (or does it?).

is there empiricial disconfirmation from other languages for PP as
sister D' vs N' ??

does anyone have a suggestion, assuming this is a viable structure,
for why APs differ radically from PPs in this respect? e.g., something
around features +/-N ??  I would hate the stipulation.

Vincent DeCaen		 	  decaen at epas.utoronto.ca