6.1629, Misc: Prescriptivism, Linguistic Diversity on Internet

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Nov 18 22:48:45 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1629. Sat Nov 18 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  149

Subject: 6.1629, Misc: Prescriptivism, Linguistic Diversity on Internet

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 09:10:11
From: jaubert at cpcug.org (Jack Aubert)
Subject: Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Tue, 14 Nov 1995 16:55:39 PST
From:  bao at firstbyte.davd.com (Benjamin Ao)
Subject:  Linguistic Diversity on the Internet

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 09:10:11
From: jaubert at cpcug.org (Jack Aubert)

Although I don't have anything profound to contribute regarding the
basic issues beyond what has been well argued by others I would like
to add a comment on stagmatized forms, or "errors" from the
perspective of a student and speaker of foreign languages.

I have put a fair amount of effort into learning to get my errors
right.  I always distinguish two basic sorts of errors: native speaker
and non-native speaker.  I have no use for the latter: errors like "un
lettre du Reine" "Why did you left without me?" And mixing vocabulary:
I will always remember an English composition by a francophone African
student I once had who thought "overcoat" meant "above all." And the
poor woman who spent one morning in paris searching for "spider
butter" instead of "peanut butter" (the words were on the same page in
her French vocabulary list).

Nobody is really interested in these errors except for the amusing
stories they provide.  What we are interested in are "learned errors"
or stigmatized forms.  "Between you and I", "aks" for "ask",
infinitive splitting and the like, are not random slips; they are
obviously learned in some context.  In aspiring to speak a foreign
language as much as possible like a native, I need to learn the social
meanings of these forms. There is no sense denying that all forms and
dialects are equal.  They are not.  They have extra-semantic meanings
which can be social, regional, ethnic, or something more subtle.  As a
language student, I need to recognize and learn how to use stigmatize
forms.

To play a language well, one needs to extend my range to all the
registers open to one, and learn how to modulate between them.  In
learning a foreign language, this means that one has to identify
"errors" made by native speakers and learn what non-semantic meaning
is conveyed by the errors.  Some of these errors are almost obligatory
in practice -- if you don't use them your speech is stilted.  Then
there is the area of taboo/obscene speech which it absolutely
essential for the language student to master.  (Imagine walking around
in real life not understanding all these words and expressions that
are not supposed to occur in print or in the Linguist List) Between
the extremes of semi-obligatory and taboo is a gamut of native-speaker
errors that when used carefuly can give you the right hint of studied
casualness or regional flavor or vulgarity when you need it.
Unfortunately these things tend to be poorly covered in standard
textbooks -- thereby creating a market for little
"Speak-Whatever-the-Way-They Really-Speak-It" manuals of "slang."

The applied linguist has to make an effor to learn the locutions the
prescriptive grammarian tells him are errors.  But the more subtle
point is that he needs the prescriptive grammarian to identify them as
stigmatized so that in addition to learning the errors themselves, but
can learn their error-meanings: all stigmata are not created equal.
While the native speaker works his way up from stigmatized forms to
mastery of prestige forms, the foreigner has to work his way down (or
is it also up?) from mastery of the textbook grammar to mastery of
stigmatized forms.