6.1644, Qs: Aphasia, Irish, Tagging, Arabic, Batch

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Nov 22 16:09:06 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1644. Wed Nov 22 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  162

Subject: 6.1644, Qs: Aphasia, Irish, Tagging, Arabic, Batch

                           REMINDER

Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 1995 16:16:25 EST
From:  DUBINSK at UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU (Stanley Dubinsky)
Subject:       Q: Broca's aphasia and ASL

2)
Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 1995 23:35:46 GMT
From:  cmccart at iol.ie ( =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ciar=E1n?= Mc Carthy)
Subject:  Irish Socio-linguistics

3)
Date:  Wed, 22 Nov 1995 08:51:01 +0100
From:  joakim at ling.gu.se (Joakim Nivre)
Subject:  Q: POS tagging of spoken language transcriptions

4)
Date:  Wed, 22 Nov 1995 12:10:40 +0100
From:  ghazali at Tunisia.EU.net
Subject:   query on Arabic complements

5)
Date:  Wed, 22 Nov 1995 19:49:52 MST
From:  Peter.Ross at anu.edu.au
Subject:  ILS F0 Batch

Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 1995 16:16:25 EST
From:  DUBINSK at UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU (Stanley Dubinsky)

A student in my introduction to linguistics course asked a question
today that I could not answer, but would like to be able to.
She wanted to know how Broca's aphasia affects the language of signing
adults.  I assume that this aphasia does affect the syntax of ASL,
however I was not sure whether it affects articulation.  I.e., does
Broca's area have the same control over manual articulation of ASL
as it does over oral articulation of spoken language, and does damage
to this area result in analogous articulatory difficulty for a
signing patient (e.g. difficulty in producing complex ASL gestures,
where there is no corresponding deficit in voluntary control of
the same muscles).
Thanks,
Stan Dubinsky

* Stanley Dubinsky           E-mail: dubinsky at sc.edu              *
* Linguistics Program        phone:  803-777-2056                 *
* U of South Carolina        fax:    803-777-9064                 *
* Columbia, SC  29208                                             *