6.1647, Misc: Linguistic Diversity on Internet, Unusual Sound Change

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Nov 22 21:43:26 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1647. Wed Nov 22 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  125

Subject: 6.1647, Misc: Linguistic Diversity on Internet, Unusual Sound Change

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Sun, 19 Nov 1995 16:32:45 +0100
From:  KNAPPEN at VKPMZD.kph.Uni-Mainz.DE
Subject:  Linguistic Diversity on the Internet

2)
Date:  Tue, 21 Nov 1995 12:24:34
From:  Narahiko INOUE<inouen at rc.kyushu-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Re: 6.1629 Linguistic Diversity on Internet

3)
Date:  Sat, 18 Nov 1995 14:50:09 EST
From:  campbel at indiana.edu ("R. Joe Campbell")
Subject:  Another Unusual Sound Change

Date:  Sun, 19 Nov 1995 16:32:45 +0100
From:  KNAPPEN at VKPMZD.kph.Uni-Mainz.DE

The recent posting is a nice example, how the method of a survey
determines quite well the outcome. At least here in germany, the
so-called `big 8' newsgroups are seen as mainly US-american ones,
including soc.culture.german.

There is an own german language top level hierarchie, de.all, with
lots of traffic (readers of this mailing list may be interested in
reading de.etc.sprache.deutsch). Another interesting group is
alt.letzebuerger, where letzebuergisch is the predominant language.

For smaller language communities, a mailing list on a given topic is
often more appropriate than a newsgroup, and I know of mailing lists
for many languages not mentioned in the above list.

So what else to expect, than a vast english dominance?

 --J"org Knappen.