6.1673, Qs: Teaching English, Hebrew, Proverbs, Funktionsverbgefuge

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Nov 29 16:02:54 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1673. Wed Nov 29 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  117

Subject: 6.1673, Qs: Teaching English, Hebrew, Proverbs, Funktionsverbgefuge

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Sun, 26 Nov 1995 14:10:39 -0100
From:  green at pratique.fr (Nigel Green)
Subject: Teaching English

2)
Date:  Mon, 27 Nov 1995 13:56:51 CST
From:  mtait at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Subject:  AGR-S and Tense in Hebrew

3)
Date:  Mon, 27 Nov 1995 19:03:00 GMT
From:  ABARRON at ollamh.ucd.ie ("ANNE BARRON (GERMAN) PG")
Subject:        proverbs (Sprichworter) & linguistics

4)
Date:  Mon, 27 Nov 1995 18:55:55 GMT
From:  ABARRON at ollamh.ucd.ie ("ANNE BARRON (GERMAN) PG")
Subject:        Funktionsverbgefuge

Date:  Sun, 26 Nov 1995 14:10:39 -0100
From:  green at pratique.fr (Nigel Green)

I 've been teaching English for fourteen years in Paris. A year and
half ago I began working in a new school teaching the (long term)
unemployed in groups of 12 - for four hours a day.

They are paid to be in the school and to learn English by the state,
in the hope that they will eventually find jobs. Many of them are
already well qualified in one field or another.

Due to the fact they are unemployed, or unemployed because, these
students (as a whole) have a very negative attitude towards any
authority, guidance or teacher figure and numerous *social*
problems. e.g.:
They frequently arrive late for class
They wish to leave class early
'I'm French why should I learn English to work?'
'I'm tired. I don't want to do anything today' or 'This
exercise/game/subject doesn't interest me.'
'I don't like role plays'
etc.; etc.

Along with the other teachers in this school, I'm getting depressed
and discouraged. Any help, ideas, comments and encouragement would be
welcome.

                  FRANCE PRATIQUE - http://www.pratique.fr