6.1350, Disc: Teaching Stress, Teaching as a Prestigious Occupation?

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Oct 4 17:44:23 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1350. Wed Oct 4 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  119

Subject: 6.1350, Disc: Teaching Stress, Teaching as a Prestigious Occupation?

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Mon, 02 Oct 1995 06:51:27 EDT
From:  jel at christa.unh.edu (John E Limber)
Subject:  Re: 6.1333, Sum: Teaching Stress

2)
Date:  Mon, 02 Oct 1995 12:03:13 -0000
From:  alex at CompApp.DCU.IE (Alex Monaghan)
Subject:  Re:  6.1328, Disc: Teaching as a prestigious occupation?

Date:  Mon, 02 Oct 1995 06:51:27 EDT
From:  jel at christa.unh.edu (John E Limber)

I was surprised that among the many interesting suggestions for "teaching
stress" there was no mention of getting students to digitally record and
view their resulting waveforms on a Macintosh or other machine equipped
with a sound board . Students who can't introspect differences in
"ob'ject" vs "object'" can generally see the intensity and duration
differences. Sentence intonation (question vs statement) can also be
observed; even without a sophisticated program like Signalize most
students can measure the duration of, say, ten glottal cycles and estimate
their fundamental frequency on a key vowel.  On occasions when the visual
displays do not accord with expectations, useful discussion may follow!

John Limber
Department of Psychology
University of New Hampshire, Durham NH 03824, USA
email: John.Limber at unh.edu
FAX (603)-862-4986