6.1355, Qs: Korean Sentences, Chinese Family Names, Lakhota

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Oct 4 22:27:05 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1355. Wed Oct 4 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  116

Subject: 6.1355, Qs: Korean Sentences, Chinese Family Names, Lakhota

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Mon, 02 Oct 1995 17:27:34 EDT
From:  hagstrom at MIT.EDU
Subject: Korean Judgments Requested on "tense-doubled" Sentences

2)
Date:  Mon, 02 Oct 1995 20:55:11 PDT
From:  wa2fxb at ix.netcom.com (wa2fxb)
Subject:  Chinese Family Names

3)
Date:  Tue, 03 Oct 1995 00:33:50 EDT
From:  DAYAL at zodiac.rutgers.edu
Subject: Lakhota Internally Headed Relatives

Date:  Mon, 02 Oct 1995 17:27:34 EDT
From:  hagstrom at MIT.EDU

One of the native Korean speakers that I have been talking to
accepts sentences like the following (though acknowledging them
to be prescriptively unacceptable):

	Chelswu-ka  ppang-ul  mek-ess-ci  ha-ess-ta
	Chelswu-nom bread-acc eat-past-ci do-past-decl
	'Chelswu ate the bread'

The distinguishing feature of these sentences is that the past
tense morpheme "ess" occurs twice, once on the content verb and
once on "ha" 'do', but it receives a simple past interpretation
(i.e. 'ate' not 'had eaten').

I was wondering if there are others reading the LINGUIST list
who also accept such sentences.  I would be interested in hearing
feedback on whether or not this sentence is acceptable, as well as
where in Korea the speaker is from.

Thanks in advance.  I won't summarize to the list unless I get
requests to do so.

 -Paul Hagstrom
  hagstrom at mit.edu