6.1360, Qs: Language of Flowers, Writing Systems,Data Software

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 5 18:05:08 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1360. Thu Oct 5 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  146

Subject: 6.1360, Qs: Language of Flowers, Writing Systems,Data Software

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Tue, 03 Oct 1995 18:02:16 +1000
From:  jodea at mailhost.dpie.gov.au (Julian O'Dea)
Subject:  The Language of Flowers

2)
Date:  Tue, 03 Oct 1995 08:58:12 GMT
From:  language at sesame.demon.co.uk (John Clews)
Subject:  WRITING SYSTEMS AND MULTILINGUAL EMAIL

3)
Date:  Wed, 04 Oct 1995 17:59:51 BST
From:  llrmosch at reading.ac.uk (Venetia Moschovou)
Subject:  Software for Qualitative Data Analysis

Date:  Tue, 03 Oct 1995 18:02:16 +1000
From:  jodea at mailhost.dpie.gov.au (Julian O'Dea)

Does anybody know anything about the "language of flowers"?

This was a 19th Century thing mainly, I think.  It involved people (often
lovers) sending flowers to each other.  Each flower had a special meaning
and, supposedly, quite complex messages could be conveyed.

Does anyone have any info, know of any relevant books, articles, personal
experience, etc?

How did each variety of flower acquire its individual meaning?  Were there
different '"dialects" of the language or did each flower always mean the
same thing around the world?  Was there any "syntax"?

Julian O'Dea
Canberra
Australia
jodea at mailhost.dpie.gov.au