6.1372, FYI: Online training seminar, PBS series on ling

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 6 18:13:17 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1372. Fri Oct 6 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  230

Subject: 6.1372, FYI: Online training seminar, PBS series on ling

Date:  Tue, 03 Oct 1995 16:01:00 CDT
From:  LISTSERV at TAMVM1.TAMU.EDU
Subject:       Online training seminar offer

2)
Date:  Tue, 03 Oct 1995 15:08:54 PDT
From:  LANGENDOEN at Linguistics.arizona.edu (Terry Langendoen)
Subject:  from Gene Searchinger, re PBS series on linguistics

Date:  Tue, 03 Oct 1995 16:01:00 CDT
From:  LISTSERV at TAMVM1.TAMU.EDU

           AN ONLINE PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SEMINAR!

  One of the TESL-L branches, TESLFF-L, is about to take on a new role,
an experimental role...Teacher training by email seminar!

  We have received a grant from the United States Department of Education's
Fund for the Improvement of Post Secondary Education (FIPSE) to conduct
dissemination workshops in the Fluency First approach to the teaching
of reading and writing. "Fluency First" builds on the theories and
practice promoted by many whole language theorists such as John Mayher at
New York University, and Stephen Krashen. The basic tenet is that language
should be MEANING driven and that fluency should be the initial goal in
learning and teaching any language (whether second, first or other).
Clarity and structural correctness spring from the fluency and develop
later. In other words, the fluency, clarity, correctness model of this
approach turns traditional teaching approaches on their heads.

  TESLFF-L will be used as a seminar to supplement eight ongoing, onsite
training programs that are being funded at university sites around the
USA. The training grant runs for two years, so we will be repeating the
online seminars later. The seminar leaders are Dr. Adele McGowan-Gilhooly
and Anthea Tillyer, each of whom teaches with and writes about the
Fluency First Approach, and each of whom is a training mentor for four
of the training sites (the "real" training sites, as opposed to TESFF-L,
which is a virtual training site!).

The seminar will run from November 1, 1995 to June 1, 1996. We may offer
a summer (northern hemisphere) '96 session if there is sufficient demand.

  If you would like to participate in this training and these seminars,
you need to do the following immediately:

  1. Join TESLFF-L
  2. Buy the book: _At the Point of Need_ by Marie Nelson (Boyton Cook/
      Heinemann) ISBN 0-86709-265-3

      361 Hanover Street, Portsmouth. NH 03801
      (orders) +1 1-800 541-2086
      telex    697-1447 HEBUS
  3. Read the first five chapters of the book by November 1
  4. Plan to try out at least SOME of the techniques and ideas raised
     in branch discussions and in the book.
  5. Plan to keep a reflective journal of your teaching.
  6. Give feedback to the seminar leaders and participants in June, '96

  Online discussion will be supplemented by archived materials.

  This seminar does not carry any credit, and there are no homework
assignments for those following the course through the list. However,
we are planning to try to develop the seminar into a full-blown course
at a later date, for which graduate credit (CUNY) will be offered.
  Schools who would like to have on-site training for teachers can
contact Anthea Tillyer (ATICC at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU) or Adele McGowan Gilhooly
(+1 212 650-6289) to arrange an onsite visit. All our sites are fully
funded for this year, but additional sites can receive the training if
they pay travel and expenses (no fees!)

To join TESLFF-L:

Send a message to LISTSERV at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
As the body of the message, type 2 words:
          SUB TESLFF-L

This is assuming that you are already a member of TESL-L. If you are
not a member of TESL-L, the request to join TESLFF-L will be rejected
by LISTSERV because membership of TESL-L branches is only open to TESL-L
members. To join TESL-L, send a message to LISTSERV at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
As the text of the message, type four words:
          SUB TESL-L first-name last-name

Example:  sub tesl-l Genghis Khan

We look forward to an exciting few months of professional growth!

Anthea Tillyer    Adele McGowan Gilhooly
City College
ESL Department
NAC 5/218
New York. NY 10031