6.1373, Disc: Self-censorship on the list, Cheating?

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Oct 7 07:34:02 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1373. Sat Oct 7 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  198

Subject: 6.1373, Disc: Self-censorship on the list, Cheating?

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Thu, 05 Oct 1995 13:40:00 EST
From:  KINGSTON at coins.cs.umass.edu
Subject:  Self-censorship on the list

2)
Date:  Thu, 05 Oct 1995 10:19:23 +1000
From:  nreid at metz.une.edu.au (Nick Reid) (Nick Reid)
Subject:  Cheating?

Date:  Thu, 05 Oct 1995 13:40:00 EST
From:  KINGSTON at coins.cs.umass.edu

This message concerns use of the Linguist list as a means of doing
research and recommends that posters self-censor.

I have noticed over the past year an increase in the number of
posts to the list of the form,

"I am interested in finding out about X.  Can anyone out there tell
me how to?

where X is some language or property or other of languages.  What
I find objectionable about many of these queries is that they could
be answered by simply going to the nearest library; that is, the
special expertise of subscribers to the list is not necessary in
order to find out the answers to many of these questions.

     Even worse, from summaries and ensuing discussion of the
actually treat the responses they get from subscribers as
sufficient answers to their questions, rather than as a stimulus to
genuine research in such traditional settings as libraries.  The
virtue of the information sources available in these more
traditional settings is that they presumably have been vetted for
accuracy and completeness, a virtue unattainable for posts to the
list.

     I suspect that what prompts these queries is many cases is how
convenient it is to post to the list.  In some other cases, it is
clear that the poster is new to the field and genuinely needs help
just finding out how to get access to whatever information is
available.  These latter posts are, I think, entirely legitimate
uses of the list.  However, in many cases, it appears that such a
person is posting to the list at the recommendation of an
instructor, i.e. someone who presumably does know how get such
access.  These posts are quite objectionable, as that instructor is
passing off his/her responsibility to teach the student how to do
research to the list subscribers.

     As we cannot ask Helen and Anthony to censor these sorts of
messages from the list, what I urge subscribers to do is pause
before posting, to think whether the answer cannot be obtained in
another way, perhaps just not as conveniently.

     A final argument: we have to sift through so much
informational chaff every day to find the wheat that we need or
want, that any efforts to limit its mass should be appreciated.

     I invite discussion on this point.

John Kingston
Linguistics Dept., South College
University of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA  01003
kingston at coins.cs.umass.edu
(413) 545-6837; fax -2792

 [Moderators' Note: I just wanted to thank John, on behalf
of the LINGUIST staff, for bringing this up for discussion.
Use of the Net to find easy answers seems to be increasing
(see message below).  We try to filter out obviously naive
queries ("What is language?" "Has anybody ever written
anything on Latin?"), but it is a thankless, and rather
difficult, job.  Often you don't recognize an obvious
question if it isn't in your field.  So any self-censorship
subscribers can do will be much appreciated. -Helen]