6.1404, Disc: Self-censorship, Cheating

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 12 15:35:06 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1404. Thu Oct 12 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  239

Subject: 6.1404, Disc: Self-censorship, Cheating

Date:  Wed, 11 Oct 1995 09:10:52 BST
From:  chp at language.ou.dk (Christian Heyde Petersen)
Subject:  Re: 6.1390, Disc: Self-Censorship on the LIST, Cheating

2)
Date:  Wed, 11 Oct 1995 09:18:01 EDT
From:  mcovingt at ai.uga.edu (Michael Covington)
Subject:  Re: 6.1391, Disc: Cheating

3)
Date:  Wed, 11 Oct 1995 09:18:52 EDT
From:  mcovingt at ai.uga.edu (Michael Covington)

4)
Date:  Wed, 11 Oct 1995 09:25:50 CDT
From:  afrancis at midway.uchicago.edu (Alex Francis)

5)
Date:  Wed, 11 Oct 1995 19:55:23 GMT
From:  104LYN at muse.arts.wits.ac.za ("M. Lynne Murphy")
Subject:        Re: Self-Censorship on the LIST

Date:  Wed, 11 Oct 1995 09:10:52 BST
From:  chp at language.ou.dk (Christian Heyde Petersen)

I agree that it is unfortunate when people use this or any other (academic)
list or disc.group to gain information which they where not supposed to get
from anywhere but rather to find out for themselves. However, I can't see
how we can stop this and IMHO our moral right to stop it is highly dubious.
The 'principle of least effort' seems valid in any context involving
exchange of ideas, i.e. students will use a library, the net, a snail-mail
address of a linguist, or an older student, who had a similar test last
year if they can. The only trouble is if they leave out/forget a reference
- that's cheating!

I don't think we should discourage people (students, laymen, etc.) from
asking questions on this list by acting as censors - we could miss out on
interesting questions and discs.

The simple solution is to refrain from answering questions which one thinks
might be from a student adhering too strongly to the principle of least
effort.

cheerio,
Christian

 Christian Heyde Petersen             Fax:    (+45) 65 93 04 90
      Institute of                     or     (+45) 65 93 24 83
Language and Communication
   Odense University                  Voice:  (+45) 66 15 86 00 (x3205)
      5230 Odense
        Denmark                       E-mail: chp at language.ou.dk