6.1410, Qs: Stops in coda position, Nebrija, Kwakwala

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 12 17:42:55 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1410. Thu Oct 12 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  92

Subject: 6.1410, Qs: Stops in coda position, Nebrija, Kwakwala

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Thu, 12 Oct 1995 09:57:25 PDT
From:  s-rhee at cogsci.uiuc.edu (Seok-Chae Rhee)
Subject:  Query

2)
Date:  Thu, 12 Oct 1995 14:47:26 +0700
From:  eisinger at VNET.IBM.COM ("Marc Eisinger (+33 (1) 40 01 52 01)")
Subject:  Nebrija

3)
Date:  Thu, 12 Oct 1995 17:55:51 +0200
From:  eitkonen at utu.fi (Esa Itkonen)
Subject:  Grammatical sketch of Kwakwala?

Date:  Thu, 12 Oct 1995 09:57:25 PDT
From:  s-rhee at cogsci.uiuc.edu (Seok-Chae Rhee)

Hi everybody

I have a question about the phonological/phonetic status of releasing vs.
nonreleasing of stops in the coda position. Does anyone out there know a
language showing minimal pairs which are exclusively based on the
releasing vs. non-releasing of coda stops?
In some languages, it is basically optional (English). In other
languages coda stops are strictly unreleased (Korean) or released
(French). But I failed to find out a language in which releasing vs.
non-releasing produces a meaning difference. I highly doubt there would
be a language like that. If somebody know a language like that, please
let me know.

Thanks a million in advance

Seok-Chae Rhee

Dept. of Linguistics