6.1422, Misc: Delimiters, Ling&Prescriptivism, Double Positives

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Oct 14 00:09:58 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1422. Fri Oct 13 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  118

Subject: 6.1422, Misc: Delimiters, Ling&Prescriptivism, Double Positives

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:41:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  Re: 6.1395, Disc: Between-word Delimiters

2)
Date:  Thu, 12 Oct 1995 14:58:05 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.1369, Sum: Creeping reflexives

3)
Date:  Wed, 11 Oct 1995 11:42:55 EDT
From:  JCDAVIS at UKCC.uky.edu (Joseph Davis)
Subject:       Yeah, yeah

Date:  Fri, 13 Oct 1995 13:41:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)

Let's not overlook that numerals with their place systems do not separate
into words, while the same numbers spelled out do, e.g., 75 = seventy five,
not *seventyfive.  There are other interesting aspects of writing numerals
vs. spelling out numbers.  EG order of reading for say German is 5 and seventy,
and so on.  Then, there is the obvious historical development of single
words out of separate (?) words, e.g., seven-ty < seven-ten(s), etc.  I
don't recall offhand whether the place system, which I believe is Indian
developed at a time when words were not separated by spaces in Sanskrit.
Spacing is a separate consideration from placing, since whether there is a
space or not, the order of numberals could be used to indicate place, and thus
the intended value (place in the 10/n column) of a particular number.

Apart from the above, there is vacillation in writing conventions for
Bantu languages as to whether monosyllabic words of some types are considered
part of the (usually) following word or not.  EG Swahili separates na
(and/with) from a following noun, e.g., na mtu (with somebody) but not from
a monosyllabic pronoun, naye = na-ye (with-him/her).  Because of the prosody,
there was the attempt on the part of some Bantuists to write namtu instead
of separating the words, but the already established convention was too
resistant.  I believe there are some other Bantu languages where the writing
conventions do join transparent cognate constructions in such cases, but
offhand I don't remember which ones.  Also, Swahili written in Arabic
script does tend to join such constructions, maybe because it makes writing
faster.  As those who know Arabic script realise, Arabic letters in final
position have additional flourishes (extended curves) that take longer to
write.  Linguistically, there is an issue in these different writing
conventions about when we have a sequence of words and when we have a
cliticised construction, cf. seven-ty above, or is-n't, and the unique
English spelling "cannot" for "can not" (on the way to "can't"?)

In sum, there are quite a few issues in the development of word delimiters
and that aspect of spelling systems in various languages.   Benji