6.1425, Sum: Narrative Structure

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Oct 15 19:00:25 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1425. Sun Oct 15 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  76

Subject: 6.1425, Sum: Narrative Structure

Date:  Sun, 15 Oct 1995 14:13:49 BST
From:  M.M.Louwerse at stud.let.ruu.nl ("M.M.Louwerse at stud.let.ruu.nl")
Subject:  Sum: Narrative Structure

Date:  Sun, 15 Oct 1995 14:13:49 BST
From:  M.M.Louwerse at stud.let.ruu.nl ("M.M.Louwerse at stud.let.ruu.nl")

Dear LINGUISTs,

About 2 weeks ago, I asked for additional information on narrative
structures for my research, I am working on. This research concerns a
structuralisation of 1500 Dutch folktales. I - as many others - strongly
believe that there is something as a story-grammar (text-grammar),
comparable with the sentence-grammar. However, there is lots of discussion
among scholars about the formulation of such a grammar.
The reactions on my request were very helpful. The list of references
several LINGUISTs gave me, are too extensive to present here. Anybody
interested in `a' bibliography of articles and works on narrative
structure, is asked to send me a short message to which I will reply with
this bibliography (M.M.Louwerse at stud.let.ruu.nl). Any further reactions are
still welcome, of course.
I would like to express my gratitude to the following persons:

Sylvie Berard, who is currently working on a dissertation on the
convergence of discourse and identity in "SF in the women's side";

Anna Hildebrandt;

Lyn Pemberton, who wrote a PhD thesis on narrative structures
in the Old French epic. (1984 Story Structure: A Narrative
Grammar of Nine Chansons de Geste of the Guillaume d'Orange
Cycle (PhD thesis) University of Toronto);

William Rapaport;

Linda Rashidi, who did a systematization of Western fairy tales
(a model of a Systemic/Functional approach to a network of nar-
rative) (1988.  "Functional co-occurrence restrictions in the
fairy tale."  In: Systemic Functional Approaches to Discourse,
eds. James Benson and William Greaves.  Ablex);

Toshiki Tanaka, who is currently studying summarization at the
University of Tsukuba;

Victor-Laurent Tremblay, who has studied the relation between
folkloristic tales and the narrative structures of myths. (1991
Au commencement etait le Mythe. Ottawa, Presses de l'Univ.
d'Ottawa);

  Max Louwerse,               e-mail: M.M.Louwerse at stud.let.ruu.nl