6.1453, Disc: Prescriptivism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 19 03:48:22 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1453. Wed Oct 18 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  188

Subject: 6.1453, Disc: Prescriptivism

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu

Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 1995 02:01:46 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 1995 09:58:35 EDT
From:  leh5 at psu.edu (Lynne Hewitt)

3)
Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 1995 11:33:41 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.harvard.edu (Karl Teeter)
Subject:  Re: 4.329, Prescriptivism

4)
Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 1995 14:41:00 PDT
From:  IYO1VAF at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (Vicki Fromkin                       )

Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 1995 02:01:46 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

Wow! It is amazing how many people on the list are ready to
come out in defense of prescriptivism.  But can we agree
that the case of second language teaching is not really
the crucial one, since here one could easily argue that
all we are doing is telling the learner what native
speakers do, i.e., really being descriptive.  UNLESS of
course we tell learners to say things which are not in fact
said by native speakers (or to avoid those which are) in
the name of some prescriptive idea. I think this happens
in second language teaching quite a bit, but then it is
clear that THAT is NOT what the various colleagues who
have written on this point had in mind, isn't it?

Bloomfield, in a paper which I rarely if ever see
mentioned, sought to lay the groundwork for a theory of
how societies decide what is "correct" and showed that
the notion of "correctness" is not restricted to
literate societies with grammarians and dictionaries,
Maybe we can go from there.