6.1456, Qs: Scope, Arabic, Swahili, Y'all

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 19 16:02:17 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1456. Thu Oct 19 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  168

Subject: 6.1456, Qs: Scope, Arabic, Swahili, Y'all

Editor for this issue: dseely at emunix.emich.edu
                           REMINDER

Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 1995 17:27:53 PDT
From:  krifka at casbs.Stanford.EDU (Manfred Krifka)
Subject:  Q: Scope Inversion under Rise-Fall Accent

2)
Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 16:23:03 +1000
From:  AESC at MUSICA.MACARTHUR.UWS.EDU.AU (Stuart Campbell)
Subject:  Arabic loanwords in Malay via Persian

3)
Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 11:54:17 BST
From:  CUCINI at unisi.it
Subject:  REQUEST OF INFORMATION ON KENIAN SWAHILI

4)
Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 10:15:19 EDT
From:  jeepjm at muohio.edu (John M. Jeep)
Subject:  Y'all

Date:  Wed, 18 Oct 1995 17:27:53 PDT
From:  krifka at casbs.Stanford.EDU (Manfred Krifka)

It has been observed for German that a rise accent + a fall accent on two
operators leads to scope ambiguities, as in the following examples (1')
and (2'):

(1)  Mindestens \EIN Student hat jeden Roman gelesen.
     at.least   one  student AUX every novel read
     a) "For at least one student x: x has read every novel."

(1') Mindestens /EIN Student hat \JEDen Roman gelesen.
     a) "For at least one student x: x has read every novel"
     b) "For every novel y: at least one student has read y"
     (in addition to a certain discourse effect resulting from contrastive
     topicalization on "mindestens ein Student")

(2)  \ALle Studenten sind nicht gekommen.
     all   students  AUX  not   come
     a) "For every student x: x did not come"

(2') /ALle Studenten sind \NICHT gekommen.
     b) "It is not the case that every student came"

The scope inversion (b) has been observed, typically for negation, by
various authors, including Joachim Jacobs (1982, 1984), Andreas Loetscher
(1984), Tilman Hoehle (1991), Juergen Pafel (1994), Manfred Krifka (1994),
Daniel Buering (1994, 1995). Buering has argued that reading (a) is
filtered out for (2') for reasons having to do with specific properties
of the negation and the universal quantifier; this may be a reason why
scope reversal is particularly striking in this case.

This scope inversion may or may not be related to a similar effect
reported for English by Ray Jackendoff (1972), illustrated with
"ALL the men didn't go" under the so-called B-accent; cf. also the
natural reading of "All that glitters isn't gold".

Questions:

1. To native speakers: Are there other languages that show a similar
effect? (So far, I have anecdotal evidence for Dutch and Hungarian, also
for a southwestern dialect of English.)

2. To speakers of German: I found that some speakers resist to the
inverted scope readings (b). Any comments?

3. To linguists in general: Are there any empirical descriptions or
attempts to a theoretical explanation of this effect other than the ones
I have mentioned, for German or for other languages?

I am happy to post the results of this query.

Manfred Krifka

September 95 - July 96:               Starting July 96:
Center for Advanced Study             Department of Linguistics
in the Behavioral Sciences            University of Texas at Austin
202 Junipero Serra Blvd.              Austin, TX 78712-1196
Stanford, CA 94305                    krifka at mail.utexas.edu
krifka at casbs.stanford.edu