6.1460, Disc: Language/Dialect

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 19 18:44:29 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1460. Thu Oct 19 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  113

Subject: 6.1460, Disc: Language/Dialect

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu

Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 14:05:35 +0200
From:  jslindst at cc.helsinki.fi (Jouko Lindstedt)
Subject:  Re: 6.1454, Disc: The linguistic Macedonian question

2)
Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:51:11 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.1454, Disc: Language/Dialect

3)
Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 05:16:14 CDT
From:  Kathleen_March at voyager.umeres.maine.edu (Kathleen March)

Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 14:05:35 +0200
From:  jslindst at cc.helsinki.fi (Jouko Lindstedt)

Roula Tskoladiou rightly pointed out that the term "Macedonian" has
different meanings in linguistics: the language of Ancient Macedonians,
related to Ancient Greek; the Greek dialects of Macedonia; the Slavic
language (closely related to Bulgarian) spoken in the Republic of
Macedonia. I do not think linguists generally try to deny any of these
meanings. Of course the word "Macedonian" as a noun is more often used to
refer to the standard language of the Republic of Macedonia, whereas as an
adjective, as in "Macedonian dialects", it is truly ambiguous if the
context does not make clear whether we have Slavic or Greek dialects in
mind. But usually this _is_ clear from the context, so I am not entirely
convinced that there is a real problem in linguistic terminology.

As a parallel, there are Carelian dialects of Finnish in Finland, and
there is the Carelian language (or several of them) in Russian Carelia,
but I do not think this is a terminological problem -- although we here
have genetically closely related languages / dialects, so that the danger
of confusion should be even greater than in the Balkans.

Jouko Lindstedt
Department of Slavonic Languages, University of Helsinki
e-mail: Jouko.Lindstedt at Helsinki.Fi or jslindst at cc.helsinki.fi
http://www.helsinki.fi/~jslindst/