6.1464, Disc: Prescriptivism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 20 17:31:12 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1464. Fri Oct 20 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  217

Subject: 6.1464, Disc: Prescriptivism

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu

Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 14:51:50 EDT
From:  DUMASB at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU ("Bethany Dumas, UTK")
Subject:  Straw person

2)
Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 16:28:17 EDT
From:  wef at umich.edu (John-Patrick Villanueva)
Subject:  Re: 6.1459, Disc: Prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 15:05:51 PDT
From:  barbara_birch at csufresno.edu (Barbara Birch)

4)
Date:  Fri, 20 Oct 1995 08:45:20 +0800
From:  ellgupta at leonis.nus.sg ("Anthea F Gupta")

5)
Date:  Fri, 20 Oct 1995 08:40:43 +0200
From:  DACE at MTB.und.ac.za (Roy Dace)
Subject:  Re: Prescriptivism

Date:  Thu, 19 Oct 1995 14:51:50 EDT
From:  DUMASB at UTKVX.UTCC.UTK.EDU ("Bethany Dumas, UTK")

I noticed that in the discussion about prescriptivism there was
occasional reference to a straw man. Even when I was in law school
(1981-85), I never heard a law professor use that phrase. Every law
professor ALWAYS said "straw person." Could it be that linguists are
sometimes the last to know???

Bethany Dumas
English/U of TN
Knoxville (See webpage at http://hamlet.la.utk.edu)