6.1479, Qs: Phoneme segmentation,Spanish Conf, GB, Field ling software

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Oct 22 17:55:49 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1479. Sun Oct 22 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  153

Subject: 6.1479, Qs: Phoneme segmentation,Spanish Conf, GB, Field ling software

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu
                           REMINDER

Date:  Fri, 20 Oct 1995 14:50:16 +1000
From:  Malcolm.Ross at anu.edu.au (Malcolm Ross)
Subject:  Phoneme segmentation and dyslexia

2)
Date:  Fri, 20 Oct 1995 07:51:08 EDT
From:  ROCAA at servax.fiu.edu (Ana Roca)
Subject:  Question about Conference on Spanish in the United States

3)
Date:  Fri, 20 Oct 1995 11:44:47 MDT
From:  kalita at pikespeak.uccs.edu (J Kalita)
Subject:  A question on GB

4)
Date:  Fri, 20 Oct 1995 17:36:44 PDT
From:  jrubba at harp.aix.calpoly.edu (Johanna Rubba)
Subject:  Queries Software; Morphology Yearbook

Date:  Fri, 20 Oct 1995 14:50:16 +1000
From:  Malcolm.Ross at anu.edu.au (Malcolm Ross)

I have found a number of indications in the literature on 'developmental'
(i.e. child/inherited) dyslexia that the reading disability of many
dyslexics is due (partly?) to an inability to segment words into phonemes.

This same literature suggests that children first acquire the ability to
segment the speech stream into words, then words into syllables, and
finally into phonemes. However, references to this acquisition sequence are
vague and are presented without evidence, and I am left wondering whether
illiterate adults generally do acquire the ability to segment words into
phonemes, or whether this ability only comes with learning to read. A
colleague who has been involved in adult literacy in a third world country
tells me that, even in languages with phonemic orthographies, reading is
often taught syllable-by-syllable, not phoneme-by-phoneme

I would be very grateful to anyone who can provide me with references to
literature on the sequence of acquisition of segmentation abilities (or the
absence thereof) and will of course summarise them for the list.

In view of recent discussion of the use of the list, I should add that I
have also looked fairly carefully at the literature on first language
acquisition, and it has not helped me to understand this topic. This
literature deals with phoneme _discrimination_ in the context of minimal
pairs and the like, but not with _segmentation_.

Malcolm Ross
Linguistics
Research School of Pacific and Asian Studies
Australian National University
Canberra, Australia 0200
e-mail: Malcolm.Ross at anu.edu.au