6.1480, Qs: Parentheticals, Looking for Slovakists

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Oct 23 04:10:48 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1480. Sun Oct 22 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  91

Subject: 6.1480, Qs: Parentheticals, Looking for Slovakists

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu
                           REMINDER

Date:  Fri, 20 Oct 1995 14:26:08 EDT
From:  N270068 at UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU
Subject:  Parentheticals

2)
Date:  Fri, 20 Oct 1995 11:05:25 +0700
From:  VLADOB at lpl.m2.fedu.uniba.sk ("Vladimir Benko")
Subject:  Looking for Slovakists

Date:  Fri, 20 Oct 1995 14:26:08 EDT
From:  N270068 at UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU

I am posting this for a colleague here in our English Department,
please address replies to him (Benjamin Franklin, N270068 at UNIVSCVM.CSD.SC.EDU)

I've recently noticed that in her early novels Anais Nin frequently uses
parenthetical expressions.  I her later novels, she uses few such
expressions.  I would like somehow to analyze her use of parentheticals
but do not know how to begin.  Is there a theory of parenthetical
expressions?  Does the central issue concern how dramatically a parenthetical
interrupts a sentence?  I'd like to be able to categorize her parentheticals
and say that one such indicates maturity, for example, or immaturity, or
something.  Might you help me.

Thanks,
Ben Franklin