6.1486, Disc: Language and Dialect, Linguistic Human Rights

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Oct 23 21:12:46 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1486. Mon Oct 23 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  101

Subject: 6.1486, Disc: Language and Dialect, Linguistic Human Rights

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Sat, 21 Oct 1995 11:35:36 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.harvard.edu (Karl Teeter)
Subject:  Re: 6.1465, Disc: Language/Dialect

2)
Date:  Thu, 12 Oct 1995 21:44:28 CDT
From:  CONNOLLY at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU

Date:  Sat, 21 Oct 1995 11:35:36 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.harvard.edu (Karl Teeter)

Dear Colleagues:  I have found the language/dialect discussions on
Galician (Galizan) very profitable and illuminating, and they bring to my
mind other cases of languages which have "split", as it were, such as
Hindi/Urdu and Serbo-Croatian.  I also think of the work of my Harvard
colleague Horace Lunt on Macedonian, where he used to speak of a single
language being strongly promoted as two different ones.  If any of you
experts would like to expatiate on these and similar cases I am certain I
would find it very helpful and instructive. Disclaimer: Since I retired from
academia sixyears ago, I am not seeking to cheat in courses or, in fact,
even to steal your knowledge and represent it as my own. Cheers!  Yours, Karl