6.1493, Sum: Historical Data Sets

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Oct 25 07:37:03 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1493. Wed Oct 25 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  122

Subject: 6.1493, Sum: Historical Data Sets

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Tue, 24 Oct 1995 18:29:52 GMT
From:  WIED6480 at VARNEY.IDBSU.EDU ("Jack Wiedrick")
Subject:        Sum: Historical Data Sets

Date:  Tue, 24 Oct 1995 18:29:52 GMT
From:  WIED6480 at VARNEY.IDBSU.EDU ("Jack Wiedrick")

A hearty (and heart-felt) thanks to all who replied to my request for
data sets; I won't mention them all here, but I have thanked each
individually, and would like to thank them all again.

I will divide the references I got into two piles: one for references
I have personally checked and can vouch for, and one for those I
haven't and can't (checked and vouch for, that is).

Pile #1:

Hoijer, H. 1956. "The Chronology of the Athapaskan Languages."  _IJAL_
    22: 219-32.
    (This has about 100 words or more each for several of the
     Athabaskan languages.  Quite detailed phonetic data.  Drawbacks:
     not in spread-sheet format; crazy old structuralist phonetic
     symbols to interpret.)

Miller, W.R. 1967. _Uto-Aztecan Cognate Sets_.  UCPL 48.
    LCCN: 67-065009.
    (This has many cognate words--around 400 or so--for all of the
     major Uto-Aztecan languages.  Comes highly recommended from more
     than one source.  Drawbacks: not in spread-sheet format;
     traditional American phonetic symbols rather than IPA.)

Swadesh, M. et al. 1966. "A Preliminary Glottochronology of the Gur
    Languages."  _Journal of West African Languages_ 3(2): 27ff.
    (This has 100 words each for around 25 or so Gur languages.
     Comes in easy-to-read spead-sheet format, and if not in modern
     IPA, nevertheless the phonetic symbols are reasonably simple and
     straightforward.  Drawback: kind of a rare journal that can't
     be found in many libraries.)

Troike, R.C. 1969. "The Glottochronology of Six Turkic Languages."
    _IJAL_ 35(2): 183-91.
    (This has a Swadesh list of 100 words for exactly six Turkic
     languages.  The list is very compact and readable, in spread-
     sheet format.  Drawback: written phonemically rather than
     phonetically, so you have to wade through some footnotes to get
     straightforward phonetic information on the words.)

Pile #2:

Aschmann, R.P. 1993. _Proto-Witotoan_.  SIL.  ISBN: 0-88312-189-1.
    (The appendix is said to contain a Swadesh list of 377 words for
     all languages dealt with.  The SIL in Colombia has apparently
     also put out a Swadesh list for 40 or so languages from that
     country, which can presumably be ordered directly from them:
        International Academic Bookstore
        Summer Institute of Linguistics
        7500 Camp Wisdom Rd.
        Dallas, TX  75236
        214-709-2404
     Also, Terrance Kaufmann reviewed this book in _Language_ 70:
     379ff.)

Bergstrasser, Gotthelf. 1928. _Introduction to Semitic Languages:
    Text Specimens and Grammatical Sketches_.  Published in English
    (translated by Peter T. Daniels) by Eisenbrauns, 1983; reprinted
    in 1995.  ISBN: 0931464102 (paperback).
    (There is apparently a reference in the bibliography of this book
     to a large(r)-scale Semitic vocabulary put out by Pelio
     Fronzaroli in an issue of _Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei_.)

Bloomfield, L. 1925. "On the Sound System of Central Algonquian."
    _Language_ 1: 130-56.
____.  1946. "Algonquian."  In _Linguistic Structures of Native
    America_, edited by Harry Hoijer.  LCCN: 46-007600.
    (I don't know much about these two articles, but was told that
     the data presented was sufficient to make a reasonably good
     reconstruction of Proto-Algonqian.)

Dienhart, J. 1989. _The Mayan Languages: A Comparative Vocabulary_.
    Odense UP.  3 vols.  ISBN: 8774927221.  LCCN: wln92-290316.
    (I know nothing about this book or what kinds of data are found
     in it.  It seemed promising, so I included it here.  It's
     probably a hassle to find, though, and costly to buy.)

Hoijer, H. 1962. "Linguistic Subgroupings by Glottochronology and by
    the Comparative Method: The Athapaskan Languages."  _Lingua_ 11:
    192-98.
    (I haven't seen this article, either, and don't even know whether
     it lists much data or not.  The shortness of the article seems to
     suggest not, but one never knows.  I included it because it was
     cited in several sources on Athabaskan reconstruction.)

Well, that's the rich booty of data sets I managed to find with my
roadmaps.  Thanks again to all who drew the maps for me.

Jack Wiedrick