6.1504, Disc: Prescriptivism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 27 04:22:48 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1504. Thu Oct 26 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  126

Subject: 6.1504, Disc: Prescriptivism

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Wed, 25 Oct 1995 23:22:18 CDT
From:  mmackenz at indiana.edu (Mike MacKenzie)
Subject:  Re: 6.1446, Disc: Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Thu, 26 Oct 1995 21:34:28 EDT
From:  BPEARSON at umiami.ir.miami.edu
Subject:  Disc: Prescriptivism

Date:  Wed, 25 Oct 1995 23:22:18 CDT
From:  mmackenz at indiana.edu (Mike MacKenzie)

On Tue, 17 Oct 1995, waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)
wrote:

> on what you mean by prescription. A language has many dialects, and
> for me, even Melanesian Tok Pisisn ("Talk Pidgin" = Pidgin talk) is
> a dialect

My Tok Pisin teacher (yes, I had one at one time!) said that the name Tok
Pisin means/comes from "business talk".  This is certainly plausible
considering it developed largely between groups who had to do business
together but did not share a common language.

Mike MacKenzie
mmackenz at indiana.edu