6.1515, Disc: Prescriptivism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 27 23:56:06 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1515. Fri Oct 27 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  103

Subject: 6.1515, Disc: Prescriptivism

Date:  Fri, 27 Oct 1995 09:37:22 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.1504, Disc: Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Tue, 24 Oct 1995 11:03:36 MDT
From:  mhord at udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx (Marjory Hord Borden)
Subject:  Re: 6.1470, Disc: Prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Wed, 25 Oct 1995 11:58:45 CDT
From:  RDHOBERMAN at ccmail.sunysb.edu ("R. Hoberman")
Subject:  Prescriptivism and the role of linguists

Date:  Fri, 27 Oct 1995 09:37:22 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

Barbara Pearson raises an interesting question when she asks whether
"having more distinctions" is always "better".  The idea that one of
the things "wrong" with "incorrect"/"nonstandard" usage is that it
makes fewer distinctions is one of the claims of traditional
prescriptivist dogma, and it is used to condemn the neutralization of
the _lay_/_lie_ contrast for instance as well as a number of other
cases where "standard" English has more distinctions than most other
varieties.  However, like all the other facets of prescriptivist
dogma, this is one is utterly false in general, since there are
zillions of distinctions made in oneor another variety of
"nonstandard" English, which the prescriptivists do not adopt, e.g.,
the contrast between _wanna_ and _want to_.  nd the same is the case
in other languages as well: in those languages where there is a
"standard" pronunciation, for example, it is by no means uncommon for
some or even all "nonstandard" dialects to have distinctions absent
from the "standard".

Alexis Manaster Ramer