6.1198, Qs: Anaphora, Classifiers, Finnish

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Sep 1 13:39:50 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1198. Fri Sep 1 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  131

Subject: 6.1198, Qs: Anaphora, Classifiers, Finnish

                           REMINDER

Date:  Wed, 30 Aug 1995 16:08:56 EDT
From:  HAMILTN at UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU (Bob Hamilton)
Subject:  Scandinavian anaphora

2)
Date:  Don, 31 Aug 95 10:46:59 MES
From:  WASNER at DMSWWU1A.uni-muenster.de (Ulli Wa_ner)
Subject: Query: Chinese numeral classifiers

3)
Date:  Thu, 31 Aug 1995 20:41:21 +0200
From:  s945025 at ipe.tsukuba.ac.jp (Kawagashira Nobuyuki)
Subject:  Question: Is Finnish a mora language?

Date:  Wed, 30 Aug 1995 16:08:56 EDT
From:  HAMILTN at UNIVSCVM.CSD.SCAROLINA.EDU (Bob Hamilton)

I have questions about the Norwegian anaphor _seg selv_
and questions about Icelandic _hann sjalfur_ and _sjalfur
sig_.

Regarding _seg selv_, can it be locally bound by an object
NP that is logocentric (i.e., where the object NP has the
relevant discourse properties to logophorically bind--e.g.,
Sells 1987).  I have seen the following judgment in Hellan
1991, but the object here is not logocentric:

*Vi fortalte Jon om seg selv
 (where Jon = seg selv)

Would the above still be ungrammatical if Jon were logocentric
(e.g., if the statement was instead something like "We heard
from Jon about selfself", where Jon = selfself)?

Concerning Icelandic, according to Hyams and Sigurjonsdottir
1990, _sjalfan_ in the anaphor _sjalfan sig_ is inflected for
gender and number.  Is this true of _sjalfur_ in _hann sjalfur_
as well?  (I don't know Icelandic, but I assume that "sjalfan"
is simply an inflected variation of "sjalfur" -- my question then
is whether this element in the complex "hann sjalfur" ever
varies its inflection for gender/number or any other feature
in the same way as it does in "sjalfan/sjalfa/sjalfra sig")

Please reply directly to me, and I will summarize for the list if
there is sufficient interest.  Thanks so much,

Bob Hamilton, University of South Carolina
hamilton at scarolina.edu