6.1199, Sum: English Numerals

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Sep 1 13:45:18 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1199. Fri Sep 1 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  202

Subject: 6.1199, Sum: English Numerals

Date:  Fri, 01 Sep 1995 16:34:12 EST
From:  Picus.Ding at anu.edu.au (Picus Sizhi Ding)
Subject:  Sum: English Numerals

Date:  Fri, 01 Sep 1995 16:34:12 EST
From:  Picus.Ding at anu.edu.au (Picus Sizhi Ding)

I'd like to thank the following people who replied my query on the
English 'eleven' and 'twelve':  Anton Sherwood, Bob Hoberman, Ann
Lindvall, Keith McCormick, Mark Mitton, Marc Picard, Paul Purdom,
Steven Schaufele, Richard Sproat, Larry Trask, Henk Wolf, Paul
Woods, Deborah Yeager, and halasz at kewszeg.norden1.com.

As several respondents point out, English 'eleven' and 'twelve' are
etymologically related to 'one' and 'two' meaning 'one left', 'two
left' (over ten) respectively.  This can also be found in other
Germanic languages such as Gothic, Old Norse, German, Dutch, West
Frisian and perhaps in some Scandinavian tongues like Swedish.  Now
it is clear to me that my original impression on these two numerals
is wrong.  There is another mistake made in my original posting.
This time it is with the French 'sixteen', which I carelessly put
it in the dix- group.  It should be _seize_, as noticed by Mark
Miltton.

Below are extracts from the responses with additional information.

>>From Bob Hoberman (RDHOBERMAN at ccmail.sunysb.edu):

<Biblical Hebrew has two words for 'eleven', one of them formed
with a form of the ordinary word for 'one' plus the same form for
'teen' (derived from 'ten') that appears in the numbers 12-19, and
the second of them formed with a totally different first element,
and the same form for 'teen'.  I don't have etymological reference
books handy, but I know that the former one is cognate with the
words for 'eleven' in the related languages Arabic and Aramaic,
while the strange element for 'one' in the latter form for 'eleven'
is cognate with aword for 'one' in another related language,
Akkadian.  'Twelve' works just like 13-19, with the usual
morphological properties of the word for 'two' in the language.  If
this example is useful to you, I can look up some more of the
etymological information.

I realize after writing the above that it might be confusing.
Hebrew numbers such as 13, 14, etc. have the same order of
morphemes as English: three-teen, four-teen, five-teen (both the
morphemes are slightly different phonologically than their isolated
forms).  'Eleven' is one-teen, 'twelve' is two-teen. However, there
is an alternative form for 'eleven', which we could model asbip-
teen, where bip is also the word for 'one' in a related language.
If you want the actual forms of the morphemes, let me know.>

>>From Ann Lindvall (ann.lindvall at ling.lu.se):
<Still, there IS something mysterious with 11 and 12. Here is one
example of reversed order:

(modern) Greek
1             ena
11            endeka (one+ten)
2             dio
12            dodeka (two+ten)
3-9           tria etc
13-19         dekatria etc (ten+three)

Singalese
1             ek
11            ekolos
2             de
12            dolos
3-9           tun
13-19 exc 15  dahatun   (ten+three)

I have more examples of languages with a regular derivation from 1-
9 to 11-19, either ten+one or one+ten. I list them here:

ten+one        one+ten
Turkish        Persian
Inuktitut      Polish
Mapudungu      Arabic
Chinese
Kammu
Tamil
Mongolian
Georgian
Adygean

Still other examples with regularity 1-9 and 11-19:
Sami (11 = one+second of ten)
Finnish (11 = one+second)
Estonian (11 = one+second)>

I must add that only the data from German, Swedish, Greek, Turkish,
Persian and Polish come from my own knowledge in these languages.
All the other examples are taken from second-hand sources.>

>>From Anton Sherwood (dasher at netcom.com):
<In the Romance languages:
        Latin           Italian         Spanish         French
10      decem           dieci           diez            dix
11      un-decim        undici          once            onze
12      duo-decim       dodici          doce            douze
13      tre-decim       tredici         trece           treize
14      quattuor-decim  quatordici      catorce         quatorze
15      quin-decim      quindici        quince          quinze
16      se-decim        sedici          diez y seis     seize
17      septen-decim    diciassette     diez y siete    dix-sept
18      duo-de-viginti  diciotto        diez y ocho     dix-huit
19      un-de-viginti   diciannove      diez y nueve    dix-neuf
20      viginti         venti           veinte          vingt

The -ze or -ce is simply a remnant of the word for 10.

In Welsh, the higher teens are named as 1+15, 2+15, 2x9, 4+15.>

>>From Larry Trask (larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk):
<The only language I can mention here is Basque.  In Basque, the
numerals from 12 to 19 are of transparent formation.  Thus `12' is
hamabi, from hamar `10' and bi `2', and so on.  But `11' is
different: it's hamaika, in which the first element is obviously
hamar `10' but the second element is mysterious: it looks nothing
like bat `1' (< *bade or *bada).  Many have tried to interpret this
-ika (or better *-eka, on the basis of internal evidence) as a lost
ancient numeral for `1', but there is no supporting evidence for
this and good evidence against it.

Since hamaika is everywhere used in Basque to represent an
indefinitely large number ("I told him eleven times" = English "I
told him a thousand times"), I am inclined to wonder whether
hamaika might not represent a fossized relic of a time when the Basque
counting system stopped at ten, so that hamaika might originally
have meant merely `ten-something', in other words `lots'.  This,
however, is pure speculation.>

>>From Paul Woods (ncx at rs.ucc.okstate.edu):
<Slavic languages start at 11 for the teens.>

>>From Henk Wolf:
West Frisian:

1 ien            11 alve
2 twa            12 tolve
3 trije          13 tretjin
4 fjouwer        14 fjirtjin
5 fiif           15 fyftjin
6 seis           16 sechstjin
7 s^an           17 santjin
8 acht           18 achttjin
9 njoggen        19 njoggentjin
10 tsien

Dutch:

1 een            11 elf
2 twee           12 twaalf
3 drie           13 dertien
4 vier           14 veertien
5 vijf           15 vijftien
6 zes            16 zestien
7 zeven          17 zeventien
8 acht           18 achttien
9 negen          19 negentien
10 tien

>>From Deborah Yeager (kyeager at prism.nmt.edu):

<In Gothic:
        1 = a'ins
        2 = twa'i
        11= a'inlif is unattested, but the dative a'inlibim exists
        12= twalif (dat twalibim)
Other '-teens' just add tai'hun 10.