6.1207, Qs: Lg learning, A. Davies, Code-switching

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Sep 4 15:01:30 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1207. Mon Sep 4 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  110

Subject: 6.1207, Qs: Lg learning, A. Davies, Code-switching

                           REMINDER

Date:  Sat, 02 Sep 1995 14:26:14 CDT
From:  molsen at astrid.ling.nwu.edu (Mari Olsen)
Subject:  Language-learning software

2)
Date:  Sat, 02 Sep 1995 15:59:40 CDT
From:  00crzhang at bsuvc.bsu.edu
Subject:  Ques. re:Alan Davies

3)
Date:  Mon, 04 Sep 1995 01:16:18 +0200
From:  hs5a035 at rrz.uni-hamburg.de (Pirsch)
Subject:  Que:How to restrict Code-Switching inside a constituent?

Date:  Sat, 02 Sep 1995 14:26:14 CDT
From:  molsen at astrid.ling.nwu.edu (Mari Olsen)

A friend of mine is studying Turkish (in Turkey).  He is intrigued
with (if wildly optimistic about) the possibilities for interactive
software.  Does anything like he describes exist, for any language?
Is it on the wish list of any research or retail project?

He writes:
One of my ideas for a computer based language learning tool is a multimedia
system that has grammar drills and vocabulary plugged into it.  A learner works
on grammar "x" by locating it in the program.  The program has a large list of
useful sentences that use the grammar.  These sentences appear on the screen,
are said by the computer ( a recored native speaker of course), and are
associated pictorially with the action or subject of the sentences in the
background.  The learner then repeats the sentence as the computer listens and
corrects (or points out trouble areas).  Since this is a computer one could
easily do builds forwards, backwards and sideways.  This multimedia tool would
also be flexible enough for the learner to plug in his own useful sentences and
native speaker repeats.  Is there such a tool in existence?

He also describes reading an article about "photocopy machines that
can copy a piece of paper in Japanese or English."  What might that refer to?

Thanks,

Mari Broman Olsen
Northwestern University
Department of Linguistics