Subject: 6.1213, Qs: Pan-Scandinavian Dialects,A Small BOO-BOO,

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 7 04:26:27 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1213. Wed Sep 6 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  166

Subject: 6.1213, Qs: Pan-Scandinavian Dialects, A Small BOO-BOO, f's for s's,

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Wed, 06 Sep 1995 16:33:00 +1000
From:  h9405049 at student.anu.edu.au (Baden Hughes)
Subject:  Pan-Scandinavian dialects

2)
Date:  Wed, 06 Sep 1995 00:22:53 PDT
From:  pcraig at magibox.net ("paul c. craig")
Subject:  A SMALL BOO-BOO, NOTED BY AN EXPATRIATE CANUCK

3)
Date:  Wed, 06 Sep 1995 08:18:06 EDT
From:  arosa at moose.uvm.edu ("Alfred F. Rosa")
Subject:  f's for s's

4)
Date:  Wed, 06 Sep 1995 10:35:05 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Query: Possible sound changes

5)
Date:  Wed, 06 Sep 1995 10:58:17 CST
From:  BLINDSEY at SIUCVMB.SIU.EDU
Subject:  Russian Acquisition
Date:  Wed, 06 Sep 1995 16:33:00 +1000
From:  h9405049 at student.anu.edu.au (Baden Hughes)

I'm currently doing some research on Pan-Scandinavian (hereafter P-Sc)
languages, and their historical development since Ivar Aasen started
standardising Norwegian in the mid 19th century. I would be interested to
hear from anyone who has expertise in this area.

My main questions are :
1. How have individual dialects contributed to the now standardised
languages of Scandinavia ? 2. Can the current P-Sc languages be considered
*dialects* of a wider P-Sc grouping ? 3. If the answer to 2 is affirmative,
then can one be justified in conducting a dialect-oriented comparative
survey of the P-Sc languages ? Any ideas on methodology ?

I'd be very grateful of anyone's thoughts on these questions. Any replies
please direct to me personally :

Baden Hughes (B.Hughes at student.anu.edu.au)

Thanks

Baden