6.1227, Sum: Filipino

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Sep 10 14:04:41 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1227. Sun Sep 10 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  216

Subject: 6.1227, Sum: Filipino

Date:  Fri, 08 Sep 1995 21:39:53 EDT
From:  cbrisson at clarity.Princeton.EDU ("Christine Brisson")
Subject:  sum:  Filipino

Date:  Fri, 08 Sep 1995 21:39:53 EDT
From:  cbrisson at clarity.Princeton.EDU ("Christine Brisson")

With my apologies for the long delay, here is a summary of responses to my
query about "Filipino," the national language of the Philippines.
My original message read:

"A local newspaper recently printed a letter to the editor that read, in
part, as follows:
'Tagalog is not a language but the second-most commonly spoken dialect
in the Philippines (next to Cebuano) out of more than 50 dialects.  The
national language is Filipino, as required by the Philippine Congress in
1989.'
Does anyone out there know what Filipino is, or where I might find some
information on it and the events in the Philippine Congress in 1989?  I'd
like to use this topic as a starting-off point for a class discussion
about dialect vs. language, and prescriptivism, but I need to know more."

The short version of the answer to my question is that Filipino is a language
based on Tagalog, but renamed and altered slightly in an attempt to bring
about a national language (rather than choosing one of the many languages of
the Philippines as dominant, a plan almost sure to cause ethnic strife; or
borrowing a language from colonials, such as English or Spanish).  However,
many Filipinos recognize the language as being essentially Tagalog, and so
the success of the program is apparently open to debate.

The writer's confusion over the "dialectical" status of Tagalog is due to the
fact that non-linguists in the Philippines refer to the various Philippine
languages as "dialects."  This is probably due to the general tendency by non-
linguists to use "dialect" as a slightly disparaging term.

Some of the respondents provided some more detailed information, which I've
attached for people who might be interested. Many thanks to Rudy Barlaan, Loren
Billings, Joseph DeChicchis, Mimi Barker, Eulalia de Bobes (hope I've got that
spelling right), Tom Payne, polmansl at ix.netcom.com, Mike McHale, and anyone
else who replied who I might have left out.