6.1244, Qs: Word delimiters, Russian

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 14 13:38:56 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1244. Thu Sep 14 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  127

Subject: 6.1244, Qs: Word delimiters, Russian

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony M. Aristar)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Wed, 13 Sep 1995 17:13:20 EDT
From:  fujii at mackay.cs.umass.edu (Hideo Fujii)
Subject:  languages with no between-word delimiters

2)
Date:  Wed, 13 Sep 1995 16:59:52 PDT
From:  jrot at mercury.sfsu.edu (Josh Rotenberg)
Subject:  Russian Morphology

Date:  Wed, 13 Sep 1995 17:13:20 EDT
From:  fujii at mackay.cs.umass.edu (Hideo Fujii)

Dear people of our community,

I want to make a list of languages to classify if a (written) language
uses a between-word delimiter (e.g., space in English), or not.
That is, if it doesn't have such delimiters, we need to segment
for the language processing (by human or computer).

My speculation is that most or many Asian languages need segmentation,
no matter it has a phonetic chatacter set or an ideographic set - but
I am not sure.

Please send your response directly to me, so I will submit the
summary list to the LINGUIST, later.  You can tell me:

        1) Name of the language,
        2) Segmentation - Need or No Need,
        3) Letters - Use Alphabets (as a group) or not. Or, other graphic
            group (Cyrillic, Chinese characters, or Own special, etc.).
            No detail.
        4) Note - If you like, short comment.

(Please don't reply *solely* about English, French, German, Spanish, Italian,
 Portugueese, Russian, Chinese, or Japanese.  I don't want to receive e-mails
 from whole population of these languages - it's a joke!)

I appreciate your contribution very much.

- Hideo Fujii
  University of Massachusetts