6.1271, Qs: Ling programs, Frequent Eng words, OCS, Universals

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Sep 19 22:28:52 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1271. Tue Sep 19 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  126

Subject: 6.1271, Qs: Ling programs, Frequent Eng words, OCS, Universals

                           REMINDER

Date:  Sun, 17 Sep 1995 13:31:28 EDT
From:  t.irons at morehead-st.edu (Terry Lynn Irons)
Subject:  Gen Ed Linguistics

2)
Date:  Mon, 18 Sep 1995 08:31:43 CDT
From:  asolovyo at indiana.edu (Ari Solovyova)
Subject:  Lists of frequent words?

3)
Date:  Tue, 19 Sep 1995 10:43:03 EDT
From:  HUSSEYD at bcvms.bc.edu
Subject:  OCS

4)
Date:  Tue, 19 Sep 1995 11:56:00 CDT
From:  ShinJa_Hwang at sil.org
Subject:  Universals and typology

Date:  Sun, 17 Sep 1995 13:31:28 EDT
From:  t.irons at morehead-st.edu (Terry Lynn Irons)

At our university we are currently undergoing a general education
curriculum reform.  My colleagues and I are proposing adding a
linguistics course to satisfy an area studies requirement.

To aid our proposal, information on other programs that require/include
some type of lingistics course in general education (such as intro to human
language, intro to linguistics, language and society, etc.) would be
helpful.  I have seen some of this kind of information hit or miss,
here and there, but nothing very exhaustive.

Would LINGUIST list members who know of or participate in programs that
include linguistics of some sort in gen ed curriculums please send
that information to me?  Please include not only course name but a
brief description of course and how it fits into the curriculum  (eg,
as a social science elective, as part of a thematic cluster, etc.)

I will send a summary to the list.

Terry Irons
t.irons at morehead-st.edu
-