6.1281, Sum: V-raising and VP ellipsis

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Sep 20 20:48:05 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1281. Wed Sep 20 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  72

Subject: 6.1281, Sum: V-raising and VP ellipsis

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Tue, 19 Sep 1995 13:56:14 EDT
From:  BOSKOVIC at UConnVM.UConn.Edu (Zeljko Boskovic)
Subject:       Summary: V-raising and VP ellipsis

Date:  Tue, 19 Sep 1995 13:56:14 EDT
From:  BOSKOVIC at UConnVM.UConn.Edu (Zeljko Boskovic)

On June 30, 1995 I posted a query concerning interaction of V-raising and
VP ellipsis. More precisely. I asked whether there are V-raising languages
that allow ellipsis of VPs whose heads have undergone V-raising, thus
escaping deletion. (In such languages, the counterpart of John kissed Mary
and Peter kissed too would be grammatical.)
I thank Mark Baltin, Pier Marco Bertinetto, Peter-Arno Coppen, Annabel Cormack,
Luis Lopez, Jan Odijk, Robin Schafer, and Almeida Jacqueline Toribio for their
Truckenbrodt.
It turns out that a number of languages that allow V-raising do not allow VP
ellipsis at all, for example, German, Dutch, Icelandic, and most Romance
languages.
However, there are a few V-raising languages that have been argued to allow
ellipsis of VPs whose heads escape deletion by undergoing V-raising. (I will
refer to such ellipsis as remnant VP ellipsis). Thus, Doron (1990) and Ale
de Boer (no exact reference)
argue that Hebrew allows remnant VP ellipsis. McCloskey (1991) makes
the same claim for Irish. (Schafer 1994, however, notes a contrast between
Breton
ellipsis constructions and what McCloskey finds with Irish). Otani and Whitman
(1991) argue that remnant VP ellipsis is allowed in several languages, in
particular,
Japanese,Korean and Chinese. Hoji (1994), however, questions their conclusion
for Japanese.