6.1277, Disc: Dialect

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Sep 19 23:37:37 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1277. Tue Sep 19 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  291

Subject: 6.1277, Disc: Dialect

Date:  Sun, 17 Sep 1995 09:03:11 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.1262, Disc: Dialect

2)
Date:  Sun, 17 Sep 1995 10:06:25 EDT
From:  MLEWELLEN at guvax.acc.georgetown.edu
Subject:  Languages and Dialects

3)
Date:  Sun, 17 Sep 1995 15:04:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )

4)
Date:  Mon, 18 Sep 1995 08:58:32 +0800
From:  ellgupta at leonis.nus.sg ("Anthea F Gupta")

5)
Date:  Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:07:03 EDT
From:  kvt at husc.harvard.edu (Karl Teeter)

6)
Date:  Mon, 18 Sep 1995 10:56:13 EDT
From:  AROUCHD at CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU (aleya rouchdy)

7)
Date:  Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:55:08 -0400
From:  ROGER at beattie.uct.ac.za ("Lass, RG, Roger, Prof")
Subject:        6.1262 Dialect

Date:  Sun, 17 Sep 1995 09:03:11 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

The term _Mundart_ in contrast to _Sprache_ surely does not
prove that the former is spoken (< _Mund_ 'mouth') and the
latter written, since the latter term is from _sprechen_ 'speech'.
At the same time, in the many descriptions of, for example, Samoyedic
and Tungusic languages written in German in the early and mid-19th
century, I find that they are referred to as _Sprachen_, i.e.,
'languages' (and similarly in works written in French and English).
Yet all these were unwritten languages.