6.1283, Qs: Morphemes,Mesopotamian,SES,Johannessen'Thesis,Glagolitic

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 21 05:43:18 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1283. Thu Sep 21 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  172

Subject: 6.1283, Qs: Morphemes,Mesopotamian,SES,Johannessen'Thesis,Glagolitic

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Wed, 20 Sep 1995 19:21:45 +0700
From:  gwyn at ipied.tu.ac.th (Gwyn Williams)
Subject:  Q: English morpheme lists?

2)
Date:  Wed, 20 Sep 0400 13:14:19
From:  rscook at world.std.com (Richard Cook)
Subject:  Mesopotamian constellation names

3)
Date:  Wed, 20 Sep 1995 18:09:19 CDT
From:  00v0horvath at bsuvc.bsu.edu
Subject:  SES in sociolinguistics

4)
Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 1995 11:21:52 +1200
From:  h.quinn at ling.canterbury.ac.nz (Heidi Quinn)
Subject:  Q:Johannessen's thesis on coordination

5)
Date:  Wed, 20 Sep 1995 18:13:48 PDT
From:  jrot at mercury.sfsu.edu (Josh Rotenberg)
Subject:  Glagolitic Alphabet

Date:  Wed, 20 Sep 1995 19:21:45 +0700
From:  gwyn at ipied.tu.ac.th (Gwyn Williams)

A computing student, doing a term assignment, wants to write a program
that enables a English L2 speaker to break down an unknown word into
component morphemes: prefix(es) - root - suffix(es).

The logical way, it seems to me, to tackle this task is to first isolate
the affixes as there is a fixed and limited number of them, then to match
the root to some database of English roots.

Does anyone know the location (preferably online or at least in computer
form) of lists of affixes and roots?

Please respond to me personally.

 Mr. Gwyn Williams                    \_            *
 Department of Linguistics            </          *  *
 Thammasat University                 /)
 Bangkok 10200, Thailand             (/             *
 <gwyn at ipied.tu.ac.th>                '