6.1296, FYI: Synthinar series, E-mail addr nameserver, URL for ILG

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Sep 22 21:13:01 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1296. Fri Sep 22 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  151

Subject: 6.1296, FYI: Synthinar series, E-mail addr nameserver, URL for ILG

Date:  Tue, 19 Sep 1995 20:40:07 CDT
From:  fcosws at prairienet.org (Steven Schaufele)
Subject:  SYNTHINAR revives from estivation

2)
Date:  Thu, 21 Sep 1995 11:06:57 +0200
From:  Norval.Smith at let.uva.nl (Norval Smith)
Subject:  LINGUIST Nameserver Announcement

3)
Date:  Fri, 22 Sep 1995 19:45:01 +0200
From:  fgxsousa at usc.es ("Xulio C. Sousa Fernandez")
Subject:  ILG Page on the Web

Date:  Tue, 19 Sep 1995 20:40:07 CDT
From:  fcosws at prairienet.org (Steven Schaufele)

A year ago, i began offering to interested individuals via Internet a
series of short lectures on syntactic theory, which many have done me the
favour of saying they have found useful and rewarding in clarifying is-
sues.  This series, which goes by the name of SYNTHINAR, has necessarily
had to slacken its pace in recent months, since so far from securing an
academic appointment that would allow me to spend my time teaching and
studying linguistics i have had to take a full-time job having virtually
nothing to do with linguistics and only tangentially related to academics
and scholarship.  And during the past 2-3 months SYNTHINAR had to be shut
down almost completely, due not only to work pressures on myself (which
among other things deprive me of almost all access to hardware on campus)
but to hardware problems and the horrendously hot weather we have experi-
enced in this part of the US this summer, which since our house is not
air-conditioned resulted in additional hardware problems, at least for
the hardware in my home.

However, these hardware problems, at least, seem to be becoming a thing
of the past, and I am hereby announcing that as of this week SYNTHINAR is
revived.  Those who are already on the mailing list can expect to start
receiving further `lecturettes' within in the next few days (if you don't
please let me know).  Those who had themselves taken off the mailing list
due to relocation, if you're settled down with up-to-date e-mail addres-
ses you are welcome to sign on again.  And at this time i want to invite
any new people who might be interested to get in touch with me.

So far, we have been discussing Chomskyan theory, variously known as GB,
REST, Principles & Parameters, Minimality.... I am not, however, a hard-
core proponent of any one framework of syntactic theory, but rather have
been devoting much of my research energies to a comparative study and eva-
luation of a variety of frameworks, and i hope before very long to begin
devoting SYNTHINAR lecturettes less exclusively to Chomskyan theory and
more to a variety of alternative theoretical approaches.

Any new participants in SYNTHINAR can receive from me copies of the 18
lecturettes and attendant discussions that were broadcast during the past
year.  In addition, an attempt has been made to put these materials on
WWW.  For further information on this, contact James K. Tauber,
<jtauber at tartarus.uwa.edu.au>.

Best,
Steven
Dr. Steven Schaufele
712 West Washington
Urbana, IL  61801
217-344-8240
fcosws at prairienet.org

**** O syntagmata linguarum liberemini humanarum! ***
*** Nihil vestris privari nisi obicibus potestis! ***