6.1299, Qs: Latin, Universal gr, Phonology, -s omission, SABE

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Sep 22 21:48:17 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1299. Fri Sep 22 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  144

Subject: 6.1299, Qs: Latin, Universal gr, Phonology, -s omission, SABE

                           REMINDER

Date:  Fri, 22 Sep 1995 03:57:30 EDT
From:  m200754 at er.uqam.ca (PLATT MICHEL)
Subject:  Latin Q

2)
Date:  Fri, 22 Sep 1995 14:29:54 BST
From:  pamela_s at ruls41.fsw.leidenuniv.nl (Pamela M. Seymour)
Subject:  Universal Grammar

3)
Date:  Fri, 22 Sep 1995 12:35:38 EDT
From:  mjerger at osf1.gmu.edu (Margaret A Jerger)
Subject:  Cataloging phonological processing assessment tasks for children

4)
Date:  Fri, 22 Sep 1995 19:23:42 +0200
From:  ahousen at vnet3.vub.ac.be (Alex Housen)
Subject:  -s omission; Standard American Black English

Date:  Fri, 22 Sep 1995 03:57:30 EDT
From:  m200754 at er.uqam.ca (PLATT MICHEL)

Dear Linguists:

I need the "proper" Latin translation of "While I breathe, I hope"

Is it:

Me, spirante, spero

or

Dum, spiro, spero

Would appreciate any reasons why one or the other is correct (or incorrect).

Thank you. Please respond to: mmetford at aol.com

Will post summary if interesting. M