6.1307, Disc: Dialect

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Sep 25 05:03:08 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1307. Sun Sep 24 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  144

Subject: 6.1307, Disc: Dialect

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)

Date:  Sat, 23 Sep 1995 09:54:45 +0800
From:  ellgupta at leonis.nus.sg ("Anthea F Gupta")
Subject:  Dialect

2)
Date:  Sat, 23 Sep 1995 09:15:09 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)
Subject:  Re:  6.1295, Disc: Dialect

3)
Date:  Sat, 23 Sep 1995 16:01:35 +0200
From:  hartmut at ruc.dk (Hartmut Haberland)

4)
Date:  Sun, 24 Sep 1995 16:39:46 PDT
From:  charmii at u.washington.edu (David Prager Branner)

Date:  Sat, 23 Sep 1995 09:54:45 +0800
From:  ellgupta at leonis.nus.sg ("Anthea F Gupta")

Benji Wald discussed further the popular vs technical use of "dialect".

> language, but there cannot only be ONE "dialect".  It's only a dialect when
> it can be compared to another one (whether the other one is considered a
> "language", e.g., Danish, or a "dialect" e.g., Swiss-German -- which of
> course Moulton has informed us has many dialects itself -- but that's what
> we expect.)  Anthea did not seem to take into account that the discussion
> intended to create links between our technical use of the dichotomy and the
> popular distinction, which is different.

[useful analogy of history / prehistory]

I had the impression that there were TWO competing technical definitions:

1) LANGUAGE + DIALECTS (ie. the (standard) language contrasts with
non-standard dialects)

2) LANGUAGE = DIALECTS (the language is composed of several dialects)

The original Philippines problems was an extension of definition (1),
where an assumption had been made in a text that if there was no standard
language, the thing was a dialect.  This is what led (and leads) to 19C
(and modern) writers talking about "European languages" vs. "Indian and
African dialects".  I've always agreed with the view that this is racist
in essence.  And this is what the (technical???) definition (1) leads to.

Anthea
Anthea Fraser GUPTA

English Language & Literature
National University of Singapore
Kent Ridge                                        e-mail: ellgupta at nus.sg
Singapore 0511                                   telephone: (65) 772 3933