6.1313, Qs: Logic/Pragmatics, Dialect Samples, Russian Velars

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Sep 26 16:25:57 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1313. Tue Sep 26 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  127

Subject: 6.1313, Qs: Logic/Pragmatics, Dialect Samples, Russian Velars

Editor for this issue: avaldez at emunix.emich.edu (Annemarie Valdez)
                           REMINDER

Date:  Tue, 26 Sep 1995 12:56:59 BST
From:  bphl100 at cus.cam.ac.uk ("B.P.H. Lee")
Subject:  Re: Query on Logic/Pragmatics

2)
Date:  Tue, 26 Sep 1995 15:50:03 BST
From:  kuehnle at str.daimler-benz.com ("KUEHNLE")
Subject:  American English Dialect Samples

3)
Date:  Tue, 26 Sep 1995 10:25:16 CDT
From:  wendi at csd.uwm.edu (Wendi K Halstead)
Subject:  Russian Velars

Date:  Tue, 26 Sep 1995 12:56:59 BST
From:  bphl100 at cus.cam.ac.uk ("B.P.H. Lee")

Dear LINGUIST subscribers

I wonder if members of the list would like to offer their analyses of the
following exchange of letters between a prospective student of the
Mathematics
Department and a lecturer/supervisor of the Physics Department.

1.	I really hope that you can be my supervisor, if it is at all possible.
	[Context: Excerpt of a letter from student to lecturer]

2.	If you are a student of the Mathematics Department, it would not
be the done thing for me to supervise you, since I'm from the Physics
Department.
	[Context: Excerpt from lecturer's reply to student's letter]

Could members of the List comment on:

A.	Provide a logical notation of the (1) and (2) above, paying
attention to the truth conditions of the propositions and the use of
modality.

B.	State the presuppositions, entailments aand implicatures of (1)
and (2), showing, if possible, any interaction between the
presuppositions, entailments and implicatures (and any other relevant
inferences that can be made).

I am very interested in the logical analysis of the above and the
explanatory power of some of the semantic/pragmatic theories in their
treatment of the above data.

I would be very grateful if members could offer
their comments.
I will post a summary to the List.  Thank you.

Benny Lee
University of Cambridge
Email:  BPHL100 at cus.cam.ac.uk