6.1326, Sum: Summary on Universals and typology

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Sep 29 07:32:38 UTC 1995

LINGUIST List:  Vol-6-1326. Fri Sep 29 1995. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  77

Subject: 6.1326, Sum: Summary on Universals and typology

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Thu, 28 Sep 1995 11:28:00 CDT
From:  ShinJa_Hwang at sil.org
Subject:  Summary on Universals and typology

Date:  Thu, 28 Sep 1995 11:28:00 CDT
From:  ShinJa_Hwang at sil.org

     Dear Linguist list netters,

     Last week I posted a request for recommendations for textbooks and
     references to a graduate-level grammar course on language universals
     and linguistic typology. Below is a summary of the responses, and I am
     thankful to the following individuals for responding to my request:

     Jacob Caflisch, Sr.        Bernard Comrie
     Matthew Dryer              Don Dyer
     Sung-won Koo               Stephen Matthews
     Mari Broman Olsen          Robin Sackman
     Jae Jung Song              Satoshi Uehara
     Lindsay Whaley

     Most recommended Comrie's book "Language universals and linguistic
     typology" (2nd ed., Univ. of Chicago, 1989), and more than half also
     recommended William Croft's book "Typology and universals" (Cambridge
     Univ. Press, 1990). The third book cited was Tim Shopen's (ed.)
     "Language typology and syntactic description" (3 vol. set from
     Cambridge Univ. Press, 1985). Others also referred to Mallinson and
     Blake's "Language typology" (1981), and Greenberg's writings. There
     were two responses with a detailed list of references.

     Keep me posted if anyone has further recommendations and comments.
     Thanks.

     Shin Ja Hwang
     SIL/UTA
     7500 W. Camp Wisdom
     Dallas, TX 75236
     E-mail: shinja.hwang at sil.org

     P.S. If anyone is curious about the course, which is one of the
     advanced grammar courses for MA, I can send the course description
     individually. I've decided to adopt the Shopen set as the textbook,
     but will also use the books by Comrie and Croft along with some other
     articles. The decision was based on two factors: (1) I already use
     Comrie's book as one of the two textbooks in the first grammar course
     for MA (the other being Bob Longacre's "The grammar of discourse"
     --prepublication copy of the revised ed. in press), and (2) our
     graduate program at Univ. of Texas at Arlington/ Summer Institute of
     Linguistics has a number of field linguists (future, if not current)
     who would benefit from a strongly data-oriented approach in addition
     to a theoretical one.