7.512, Disc: Economy, Minimalism, and Formalism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Apr 6 15:10:39 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-512. Sat Apr 6 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  148

Subject: 7.512, Disc: Economy, Minimalism, and Formalism

Date:  Mon, 01 Apr 1996 10:16:46 CST
From:  r.hudson at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Richard Hudson)
Subject:  RE: 7.489, Disc: Economy, Minimalism, and Formalism

2)
Date:  Mon, 01 Apr 1996 08:52:46 EST
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

3)
Date:  Wed, 03 Apr 1996 13:02:00 EST
From:  PDeane at dataware.com (Paul Deane)
Subject:  RE: 7.467, Disc: Economy, Minimalism, and Formalism

Date:  Mon, 01 Apr 1996 10:16:46 CST
From:  r.hudson at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk (Richard Hudson)

Dan Everett says:

> In Minimalist Theory, one does
> not propose analyses based on indexes or unnecessary movements, because -
> so the argument goes - these things don't properly reflect what speakers
> do.

dh: Agreed. I accept the link between linguists and speakers. This is common
ground across many theories, and hasn't changed since the days of beads and
sandals.

> There is also a principle called "Economy" which says that structures
> involving unnecessary movement are out. They are out because speakers
> don't work that way. THEREFORE, linguists ought not to assume uneconomic
> analyses (analyses which may or may not also violate "ECONOMY".) I still
> do not see the difference. The only confusion it seems to me is that
> economy now refers to minimal assumptions about linguistic forms AND a
> specific principle of the same name.

dh: It's the specific principle called Minimalism that I think we're arguing
about. The argument started when Esa Itkonen said that the role of economy
was different in Minimalism from what it had been in Chomsky's earlier work.
I think you're agreeing.

> So, the notion of economy that we
> used in days of beads and sandals is still the one we use in days of our
> kids' tuition.

dh: So that's a pretty misleading conclusion!
Prof Richard Hudson                           Tel: +44 171 387 7050 ext 3152
                                             E-mail: r.hudson at ling.ucl.ac.uk
Dept. of Phonetics and Linguistics                     Tel: +44 171 380 7172
                                                       Fax: +44 171 383 4108
UCL
Gower Street
London WC1E 6BT