7.516, Qs: Filipino, Tongan language situation, Linguistic change

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Apr 8 19:02:43 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-516. Mon Apr 8 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  117

Subject: 7.516, Qs: Filipino, Tongan language situation, Linguistic change

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Wed, 03 Apr 1996 09:06:15 -1000
From:  lavina-maria at BYUH.EDU (MARIA LAVINA)
Subject:   Calling all Filipino linguists or anyone who can help

2)
Date:  Wed, 03 Apr 1996 17:48:44 -1000
From:  EGGINGTW at BYUH.EDU (William Eggington)
Subject:   Question: Tongan language situation

3)
Date:  Thu, 04 Apr 1996 08:36:02 EST
From:  GREIL01 at fsuni.rz.uni-passau.de ("GREIL TANJA")
Subject:        Linguistic change due to anti-discrimination policies

Date:  Wed, 03 Apr 1996 09:06:15 -1000
From:  lavina-maria at BYUH.EDU (MARIA LAVINA)

I am doing a Language Planning paper for Dr. William Eggington's class
on th diglossic situation in the Philippines involving English and
Tagalog.  I just need to know the current issues surrounding this
diglossia.  More specifically I want to know the status of Taglish in
our country and possibly how it affects the aforesaid situation.
Talking to Dr. Michael Foreman of the University of Hawaii he
mentioned that some Filipino scholars do not even recognize the
existence of Taglish.  I want to know why.  Please help me in doing
this paper.  Our deadlines are coming up soon and I need immediate
feedback from any of you.  Doing research is something new for me --
that's why I am asking you pro's out there.  Thankyou very much or as
they say here in Hawaii--Mahalo nui loa.

Aloha,
Nina Lavi?a
BYUH Box 1021
Laie, Hawaii 96762