7.519, Qs: Italian, Quantifiers, Interruptions, Macro-Siouan

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Apr 9 13:39:05 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-519. Tue Apr 9 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  142

Subject: 7.519, Qs: Italian, Quantifiers, Interruptions, Macro-Siouan

Date:  Tue, 02 Apr 1996 12:00:22 PST
From:  keithc at sensoryc.com (Keith Carlson)
Subject:  Italian phonology

2)
Date:  Sun, 07 Apr 1996 04:21:00 CDT
From:  knakatan at husc.harvard.edu (Ken Nakatani)
Subject:  Q:Logic & Quantifier

3)
Date:  Sat, 06 Apr 1996 19:09:04 EST
From:  aaa721 at agora.ulaval.ca (Natalie Melanson)
Subject:  interruptions in conversation

4)
Date:  Sun, 07 Apr 1996 21:27:30 CDT
From:  fcosws at prairienet.org (Steven Schaufele)
Subject:  general sources on Macro-Siouan?

Date:  Tue, 02 Apr 1996 12:00:22 PST
From:  keithc at sensoryc.com (Keith Carlson)

Something has been puzzling me about italian phonology.  I'm looking
specifically for a constraint-based approach to this problem, and
welcome any optimality-theoretic solutions.

the facts:
(1) vowels in stressed, open syllables are predictably long word-internally,
e.g. 'vi:.no 'wine'.
(2) vowels in stressed, open syllables are predictably short word-finally
(despite stress), e.g. par.le.'ro  'I will speak', cit.'ta 'city'.
(3) if a word-final vowel is stressed, then the onset of the following
syllable closes the preceding syllable, e.g. par.le.'ro[b] # be.ne 'I
will speak well' (gemination of [b]), cit.'ta # s.por.ca 'dirty city'
(resyllabification of [s]).
this is known as *radoppiamento sintattico*.

analysis:
the predictable lengthening of vowels, as in (1), as well as the gemination
of [b] and the resyllabification of [s] in (3) point to the satisfaction
of the Weight to Stress Principle: the best stressed syllables are heavy
(bimoraic).

problem:
why can't vowels be heavy at the edge in order to satisfy the WSP, as they
are word-internally?  It is odd that moras that 'sprout' (i.e. are not
underlying) word-internally govern vowels, as in (1) , while those that
sprout word-finally can only govern consonants, as in (3), otherwise they
do not sprout at all, as in (2).

will post any satisfying answers received.
thanks in advance.
RESPOND TO: james at sensoryc.com