7.537, Disc: Grammatical gender

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Apr 12 15:08:54 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-537. Fri Apr 12 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  351

Subject: 7.537, Disc: Grammatical gender

Date:  Wed, 10 Apr 1996 21:16:15 +0200
From:  waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)
Subject:  Re: Disc: Grammatical gender

2)
Date:  Wed, 10 Apr 1996 18:36:54 BST
From:  KNAPPEN at VKPMZD.kph.Uni-Mainz.DE
Subject:  Re: 7.522, Disc: Grammatical gender

3)
Date:  Wed, 10 Apr 1996 10:54:31 CDT
From:  Bernhard_Rohrbacher at postoffice.brown.edu (Bernhard Rohrbacher)

4)
Date:  Wed, 10 Apr 1996 20:35:41 EDT
From:  amr at CS.Wayne.EDU (Alexis Manaster Ramer)

Date:  Wed, 10 Apr 1996 21:16:15 +0200
From:  waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)

Re: Sean Witty's comment (7-522) to Alexis Ramer (7-419):

Not that I would suggest this as a "solution" or discussable venue for
prescriptive regulation, but there is another option, that of uniting
the feminine and masculine genders into a common gender which remains
distinct from the neuter. This is exactly what happenned in the
development from Middle Lower German to Dutch, where the common
(fem. + masc.)  gender takes the definite article _de_ (corresponding
to both German _die_ and _der_), and the neuter gender takes _het_
(German _das_).

But this is neither here nor there, because gender is indeed a
grammatical category, as against the physiological category of
sex. And although the two are strongly interconnected, one cannot hope
to elliminate the former by reforming social gender roles in real
life, much less to achieve improvements in the latter by reforming
language.

Re: Sean Witty's comment (7-522) to Michael Newman (7-419):

>                     English     Russian
> Animate-Male:       he          on
> Animate-Female:     she         ona
> Animate-Indef.:     NA          ---   <-<< !!
> Animate-Plural:     they        oni
> Inanimate-Masc:     it          on
> Inanimate-Fem:      it          ona
> Inanimate-Neut:     it          ono
> Inanimate-Plural:   they        oni

The line indicated with an arrow should be corrected to:

                   English     Russian
Animate-Neut.:     it          ?

cf.: English  _It (the child) is crying._

There are very few Russian neuter nouns denoting persons, and I'm not
sure whether the corresponding personal pronoun to be used is _ono_.

Re: Sean Witty's comment (7-522) to Waruno Mahdi (7-419):

> "There is incidentally also no masculine correspondent to the German
> feminine noun Hebamme "midwife" (just as there is no "midhusband" in
> English), although male persons pursuing that profession do exist in
> Germany."
>
> Should there be?  Why is it not possible for [die Hebamme] to have
> Neuter Gender and Indefinite Sex?  They do it for [der Ingenieur], so
> we should expect it to go the other way as well.

I think you are confusing grammar with logic (or should I even say
"wishful logic"?). Why is one noun for an inanimate denotate feminine,
and another one masculine in French (which does not have a neuter at
all)?  Whereas German masculine nouns like _Ingenieur_ may be used in
reference to female representatives of the profession, a feminine noun
is not normally used for male representatives. "Not normally" means
here, that when you do use it, there is a pronounced humoristic
connotation as in the essentially "ungrammatical":

    German _Er ist nicht gegangen, er ist gegangen worden_
literally: "He didn't go, he was went" (i.e. ",,, he was made to go").

It is often more difficult to grasp the banal truth, that both sides
of a medal are extant, than one is normally aware of. That grammatical
gender and physiological sex are two distinct categories is true, but
that is only one side of the medal. The other is that language
reflects material facts and relations, directly, but also indirectly,
so that grammatical gender and physiological sex are not absolutely
independent categories. They are distinct in one plane, and
interconnected in another.  _word_ is a word, and being made up of
only one non-zero morph, it is also a morph. Can a morph and a word be
one and the same? No, I'd say it's a word in one plane, and a morph in
another. Just an illustration to explain what I mean by plane.

Grammatically seen, German _Sekreta"rin_ is the feminine counterpart
to masculine _Sekreta"r_ "secretary", but the former only refers to
the lady sitting at the desk in the ante-room stenographing, typing,
and handling the calender timetable and incoming calls etc., whereas
the latter mainly refers to a relatively high-positioned
executive. Male persons doing the job of a _Sekreta"rin_ are never
referred to by this word, but only as _Sektreta"r_; female persons
occupying the position of said high executive are always referred to
by the masculine noun, never by _Sekreta"rin_. Here, language very
subtly reflects an underlying social inequality unfortunately still
extant in just about all societies of the world. This essentially
"chauvi"-biased assymmetry continues in the use of the feminine noun
_Tippse_, a pejorative word for neutral _Sekreta"rin_ (from the verb
_tippen_ "to type"). It is a standard "joke" in macho circles to
derogate a male stenographist/typist secretary by calling him a
_Tippse_. There is no masculine counterpart to this noun.  This is
what one has as objectively existent phenomenon of language
(description). One might decide for oneself to avoid it in one's own
speech ("auto-prescription") and to recommend the same to others, but
that is ethics, not linguistics.

> "With regards to recommendations at neutralising gender distinctions in
> language, I see two aspects to the problem:  (1) "political
> correctness" in language should certainly not only be recommended, but
> sometimes even enforced, when language is being misused to oppress or
> injure people on the base of their sex (or by any other criteria);"
>
> WHAT!!!  Sounds awfully PREscriptive.  Who will determine what
> constitutes misuse, oppression, or injury?  Who is going to enforce it?

Now, I think, you're confusing grammar with civil law. Prescription is
when you issue rules on what is grammatically correct and what is
not. If you write "the kat cought a maws" in a dictation, the teacher
my comment that with some red ink, implying the existence of some sort
of prescription on spelling. But when a lady decides to sue you for
libel, her lawyer would have to find a passage in the law or some
precedent court rulings to base that on. No grammatical rules,
prescriptive or otherwise, would do. In the US, it would finally have
to be Congress, I suppose, to decide such things, and the D.A. would
have to see to its enforcement? I'm not sure, ask Perry Mason. Don't
get me wrong: I do not advocate censorship, but suggest that people be
responsible for what they do or say. When they encroach upon some
unalienable rights of others, it cannot be wrong to hold them legally
responsible for that, can it?

> As a Linguist, I am outraged that you would suggest FORCING words into
> people's mouths!!!  Who the heck are you????

I'm a linguist, somewhat taken aback by a Linguist's attempt to
forcibly put words I never uttered into my mouth. It was to keep words
OUT of people's mouths, when such words caused injury or oppression to
people. This is not because the words were ungrammatical, but because
they may have the same (or even worse or more lasting) effect on the
victims, than if one "merely" punched them in the nose. And there is a
law against that, isn't there?  Do you know what a father does to an
adolescent daughter, when he calls her a whore? And there isn't even a
law against that, I think. Or would you really see that covered by the
right to freedom of speech? Freedom ends, where one encroaches upon
the freedom of others, would you not agree? But that too is not
linguistics, and you are of course welcome to an own opinion. In any
case, this wouldn't be the right place to argue the matter to the end
(supposing there were one). As for the linguistic aspect of the
problem, my opinion was (and is):

> but otherwise I'd say, language is a mirror of life, and it is quite
> pointless to try to reform social reality by eliminating certain
> words, the natural procedure being for language to comply to changes
> in society.

I'm glad you didn't disagree with that.

> Language does not oppress.  People's usage does.

Exactly! Otherwise it would be too easy: somebody got murdered? Sentence
the revolver to the grill (Hasta la vista, Baby!).

Re: Larry Horn's comment (7-522) to Mark Mandel's comment (7-429)
                                 to Waruno Mahdi (7-419):

Thus, in German, we find:

_Mitgift_ "dowry" (_Gift_ "that, which is given"),
          i.e. "that which is given along with (the bride)"

_Mitschu"ler_ "schoolfriend" (_Schu"ler_ "pupil, schoolchild")
          i.e. "he/she/it who attends the same school with (one)"

_Mitschu"ulerin_ "female schoolfriend"

But I actually thought that the humoristic intent behind something as
blatantly inappropriate as mid"husband" for mid"wife" (from an historical
linguistic point of view) would be obvious....

Re: Herman Teichert's comment (7-522) [to Waruno Mahdi (7-419)]:

> However, for
> the example with "Maedchen" - Is not true that once you give a name to a
> girl, that you may say in actual practice: "Sie heisst Maria" rather than the
> "correct" grammatical formulation "Es heisst Maria"?

My example was given in the concrete context:

>   Wie heisst das Maedchen?   Es [sic!] heisst Maria.
>  "What is the girls name?    Its       name is Maria."
>
> Using sie "she" here would be grammatically incorrect.

On the other hand:

    Wie heisst die Dame?      Sie heisst Maria.
   "What is the lady's name?  Her name is Maria."

Here, in turn, _es_ "it" would have been wrong, because _Dame_ "lady"
is feminine. When there is no preceding noun governing the gender of the
pronoun, one uses the grammatical gender corresponding to the physiological
sex:

    Wie heisst sie?     Sie heisst Maria.
   "What is her name?   Her name is Maria."

which, in turn, demonstrates the connection between the grammatical and
the physiological....

Waruno Mahdi                    tel:   +49 30 8413 5408
Faradayweg 4-6                  fax:   +49 30 8413 3155
14195 Berlin                    email: waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de
Germany                         WWW:   http://paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de/