7.544, Qs: Possessives, GB theory, Bantu lgs, Donna Hina Honda

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Apr 12 17:13:49 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-544. Fri Apr 12 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  154

Subject: 7.544, Qs: Possessives, GB theory, Bantu lgs, Donna Hina Honda

Date:  Wed, 10 Apr 1996 07:45:41 PDT
From:  Laurence_Kitching at sfu.ca
Subject:  "Their" replacing "his" and "her"

2)
Date:  Wed, 10 Apr 1996 23:26:48 -0000
From:  fmart at relay.ua.pt (Fernando J. S. Martinho)
Subject:  Adjective / noun order

3)
Date:  Wed, 10 Apr 1996 14:43:09 EDT
From:  mfr2z at curry.edschool.virginia.edu (Maria Fatima Rodrigues)
Subject:  Kimbundo and Ovimbundo

4)
Date:  Wed, 10 Apr 1996 20:22:46 CDT
From:  matsudaa at omni.cc.purdue.edu (Aya Matsuda)
Subject:  Donna Hina Honda

Date:  Wed, 10 Apr 1996 07:45:41 PDT
From:  Laurence_Kitching at sfu.ca

It has become common parlance in the West of Canada for some speakers
of English to use "incorrect" plural/singular markers.

One notes the progressively more frequent use of the possessive
adjective "their" to replace "his" or "her", regardless of the clash
between singular and plural.

Is this North America-wide?

Is this the result of an (unwitting?) attempt to avoid reference to
either male or female persons?

Apparently, some native English speakers would seem to be unaware of
the discrepancy between plural and singular number, particularly if
they possess no fluency in a different language, such as German, where
the substitution and clash are impossible.

Comments?

L. Kitching <kitching at sfu.ca>