7.546, Disc: German partial-VP fronting, Re: 7.530

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Apr 13 15:10:23 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-546. Sat Apr 13 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  344

Subject: 7.546, Disc: German partial-VP fronting, Re: 7.530

Date:  Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:59:10 +0200
From:  schuele at sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de
Subject:  Re: 7.530, Sum: German partial-VP fronting

2)
Date:  Thu, 11 Apr 1996 17:45:08 +0200
From:  koch at mailhost.uni-koblenz.de (Ulrich Koch)
Subject:  Re: German partial-VP fronting

3)
Date:  Fri, 12 Apr 1996 11:14:04 BST
From:  ralf.steinberger at sharp.co.uk (Ralf Steinberger)

Date:  Thu, 11 Apr 1996 10:59:10 +0200
From:  schuele at sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de

some of my ideas:

as i understand your table, i do perfeclty well fit into the a pattern!? i
do find it a bit shocking, however, that people accept sentence 6, quite
scary, you should interview these people on their reading habits and what
they do for a living... and what other languages they speak and what
foreign or second language contexts they have been immersed in for how long
and what dialect of german they speak..also, there is a big diff what
people accept in reading and writing (depending on the kind of lit they
read) and what they acutally say... as you know

re 3: the construction should be accepted by all speakers, that might be
easier if you vary length of constituents and / or content!!! - which
applies for all sentences

for the below sentences, i accept 1,2,3,5, i reject 4 and 6, i think i
accept 4 in your examples because of the nie!

1.diese titel waren mir schon immer bekannt
2.schon immer waren mir diese titel bekannt
3.bekannt waren mir diese titel schon immer
4.diese titel bekannt waren mir schon immer
5.schon immer bekannt waren mir diese titel
6.schon immer diese titel bekannt waren mir

i remember a discussion i had with a class mate in grad school about the
acceptability of left dislocations in spoken american english that differ
apparently remarkably from what linguists have claimed to be possible...

sorry this is somewhat confused, i have never worked much with german and
whenever i think about it, i start feeling dizzy and then i think about how
much work in ling is based on only a few speakers of a language!!!

susanne